Equipment Recommendations

So which of the desperately butch and manly options did you plump for? Cammo, Lava or Desert Storm?? :hihi:

All will become clear next time I head out camping ;):D

All will become clear next time I head out camping ;):D

If that's a deliberate pun, it's truly awful!!! :rant:

(Well done!)

If that's a deliberate pun, it's truly awful!!! :rant:

(Well done!)

Haha thanks. I shall be buying more equipment over the weekend. Yay!!

Anyone know anything about walking poles?

AO, iv owned a fair few walkign poles, and can honestly say your best off buying Leki poles. i know theyre more expensive, but theyre a cut above the rest as far as quality goes. Ive worked for a few outdorrs companies (Outdoors, Blacks, Millets, CCC) and in 5 years saw one leki pole returned due to a fault, own brands and cheaper makes were returned much more often.

HOWEVER, if a cheaper pole is more comfortbale, then it may jsut be worth having to replace ti more often, you dont want to get halfway up scafell and realise its causing more trouble than its solving.

AO, iv owned a fair few walkign poles, and can honestly say your best off buying Leki poles. i know theyre more expensive, but theyre a cut above the rest as far as quality goes. Ive worked for a few outdorrs companies (Outdoors, Blacks, Millets, CCC) and in 5 years saw one leki pole returned due to a fault, own brands and cheaper makes were returned much more often.

HOWEVER, if a cheaper pole is more comfortbale, then it may jsut be worth having to replace ti more often, you dont want to get halfway up scafell and realise its causing more trouble than its solving.

Thanks. I have looked at the Leki poles and they seem pretty good. I will have to test some out over the weekend and see which do it for me :)

I bought a couple of Leki poles when millets were closing thier meadowhall branch forgot how much they were, but they were cheap due to the sale.

yeah you were looking at approximately £40 (that was 3 years ago), whereas the own brands were £15 upwards.

i was managing the moor store when that was closing, thank god for staff discount, now ive got a room full of stuff :D

Just dug out my receipts, the Leki poles were £15 each

yeah you were looking at approximately £40 (that was 3 years ago), whereas the own brands were £15 upwards.

i was managing the moor store when that was closing, thank god for staff discount, now ive got a room full of stuff :D

I don't mind paying extra if it gives me the confidence that they wont fail me at a vital moment in a climb. I am heading out today so might, just might, come back with a couple. I think I will have to get myself a part time job with one of the outdoor shops, save myself a small fortune :D

As said earlier in this thread,i recently purchased a 1 man tent upon receipt i an a little disapointed.

What weight should i have expected? feels rather heavy

Which is the best a single skin or one with a fly sheet?

Unless you want a tent full of condensation every morning and all your kit wet through water dripping on it and yoursels do not buy a single skin tent, with our countrys climate it's very rare the conditions are right for them, i wouldn't touch one with a barge pole.

Also you really want to go for outer pitch first or one that pitches inner and outer together, you'll also want one at least 90cm high on the inner so you can sit up, a largish porch is preferable too if your gonna use it for more than one night trips or you wont be able to cook in the porch, that's a necessity most of the time with our weather.

My 1 man tent weighs less than a kilo but it was expensive, anything up to 2kg if your on a budget is acceptable.

Just to add to that, look for a tent that has good venting options also but not one with an all mesh inner if your going to use it outside the best of summer weather.