Manor? What's it like?

I've lived on the Manor, well Manor Park to be precise its at the bottom of Prince of Wales Road near the roundabout to the Parkway. It not a bad place to live, was much better 30 years ago though...lol. But hey Dore is suppose to be a great place to live and thats got a high crime rate too. In fact the whole of Sheffield has gone down hill. I like living where its quite close to town (takes about 5 mims) frequent buses and tram service and once your in town well the worlds your oyster. :-)

I wouldn't move if you don't have to...i live on woodthorpe 5mins from lower manor and have been out for day and come back to be told by next door neighbour that two lads have tried to pinch my partners exhaust, then not long after the scrap men came on our back and tried to take an alloy wheel!!:o

Luckly my neighbour told them where to go.

I suppose it depends what sort of expectations you have.

Good luck anyway :)

You are right on that one, it all depends on what your expectations are.

As for scrap men, it doesnt matter where you live, scrapmen men drive around all areas and please theirselves talking things regardless if it has not been put out for collection.

Just watch an episode of the BBC Traffic Cops, you'll soon get an idea.:D

Yes and if you do watch those tv cops programmes you will see that they are a few years old.

They do seem to show a lot of the manor area but the chases don't always start on the manor they tend to go through the manor but considering it lies over 4 major routes in sheffield (city road, prince of wales road, mansfield road and the parkway) it is bound to get alot of coverage beacuse of that.

Ive had 4 cars stolen over the years...3 of them were found on the Manor...4th one on the prince of wales rd slip rd on parkway...

dronfield or the manor.

tough choice.

i suppose i'd have to rough it in dronfield instead of having my windows smashed, stuff stolen and possible death threats in the manor

Yes you would have to rough it up in Dronfield.

As the say goes, if you are not invited you are not coming in.

Dronfield is a terrible area for the locals being unwellcoming to people who either do not originate from there or do not live there.

The young youths think they can call the shots to which other young people can drink in the pubs in there or hang about there so not much different to the manor in that sense.

Manor is no different to any other area in Sheffield. There are some good people, and there are some bad.;)

Ive had 4 cars stolen over the years...3 of them were found on the Manor...4th one on the prince of wales rd slip rd on parkway...

Do you live on the manor?

Do the people who stole the cars live on the manor?

Do people just go and dump their stollen cars there?

Unfortunatley once an area gets a reputation it stick and people then abuse this.

Dronfield is a much nicer place than the Manor, I'd stay there.

Do you live on the manor?

Do the people who stole the cars live on the manor?

Do people just go and dump their stollen cars there?

Unfortunatley once an area gets a reputation it stick and people then abuse this.

I lived at Norfolk park and meersbrook at the time

The fact that so many people think it's bad, and even the people defending it are saying "it's not that bad" means its obviously dodgy, and it is. I'd avoid it if you have the choice Mark, not somewhere you want to bring up your kids, because theyre going to want to be playing in the streets and you dont want them around the gangs up there. You've nothing to lose avoiding it but you could lose everything accepting it.. literally everything you own :hihi:

The fact that so many people think it's bad, and even the people defending it are saying "it's not that bad" means its obviously dodgy, and it is. I'd avoid it if you have the choice Mark, not somewhere you want to bring up your kids, because theyre going to want to be playing in the streets and you dont want them around the gangs up there. You've nothing to lose avoiding it but you could lose everything accepting it.. literally everything you own :hihi:

It's really strange. I, also, thought the worst, when I and my ex hubby moved onto the Manor. but the car crime and other related stuff dramatically dropped in about 1996 when the police helicopter was introduced.

I believe the stats were that crime, such as TWOCing, in the Manor dropped by nearly 60% in the months after the helicopter started patrolling.

Every area has its idiots, every area has pockets of "troublemakers".

It's almost always a minority of residents who give an area a bad name,.

ive been offered a house at manor....is it a nice area?? i want to be in a nice area as i have kids :help:

I moved to the Manor in April 2009. If I'm honest the thought of living there really put me off, and it took me a while to not be ashamed/embarrassed about telling people that's where I lived.

I grew up in Norton so it was quite a change but once I'd seen the house and street I couldn't say no. My neighbours were lovely and everyone looked out for each other, a real sense of community.

The only bit of trouble I've ever experienced was a small group of lads who would play foot ball 'at' your house. No, it's not a crime but the constant thudding against the wall used to drive me crazy!! After a few discussions and back chat with the lads this did stop and they were pleasant enough young men, they were just bored and didn't feel that they could play in the park due to older lads hanging around there at night.

I stayed in that house for a year (Just off Wulfric Road, the new estate) and now I've moved to another house near Fairleigh Social Club at the beginning of the month.

Again, everything seems lovely. It's nice to look out the window and see all the kids playing in the playground which is just outside my house. There's always police around in the day on their bikes and you get the feeling of 'safety'. I have a dog which I walk in the park around the corner and I feel safe enough to do do on my own. I never go there at night as there is always talk of an older gang of lads who like to drink and take drugs in the park. Although when I lived at Norton there was the same problem in Graves Park at night!

The Manor has a really bad reputation, but there really is nothing wrong with it in my experience.

I've never seen or experienced any crime, in fact I've seen more when I lived at Norton!