Bands of the 60's - shape of the rain

The gig i was at was at Stonegravels (which i think was the home ground of Chesterfield R.U. club) and it was in the evening/night; Keef Hartley Band were the openers, followed by The Strawbs & then the Edgar Broughton Band. I think the intention was for Shape of the Rain to go on directly before the Broughtons - probably as they were a popular local band and because Dave was their manager and had organized the gig - but for whatever reason (maybe they turned up late!) they never got to play. We travelled in by bus from Sheffield and walked a good part of the way back before we got a lift from a lorry driver.

As well as running 'Some Kinda Mushroom' in Sheffield, Dave also had a record shop in Chesterfield, just off Sheffield Road as you come out of town. Bought Can's 'Monster Movie' and a Zeppelin double bootleg plus some import 7" singles - wish i still had that lot!

Happy daze/BB

Hi, Thanks for the reply. From what you say about the gig being at Chesterfield R U Club, we are I think almost Certainly talking about the same thing. When I said I remembered it was a 'Daytime' event, I can remember it being light when it started, it was probably late afternoon/early evening, as you say. I remember that there were other people on the Bill besides Edgar Broughton, but couldn't remember who. Now that you have mentioned it though, I do remember One band was The Strawbs. It was disappointing that Shape Of The Rain didn't manage to play, as that was one of the main reasons why we had gone. It's strange that we have a connection being at the gig all those years ago. Take care. R

Shape Of The Rain - They are on their way Back! See Promo Clip on YouTube.

Edited by KILLAMAROY

They were an excellent band.I used to put them on at the free concerts I organised in Weston park and they always did a great show.

Hello Glyn?,

I'm an Administrator for Shape Of The Rain's Facebook Page, would you like to join us on there for the latest news of the Boys etc? If so, search on Facebook for Shape Of The Rain and then 'Like'!

As you probably know, the Band have been in the Studio during 2010/11 recording some new versions of songs from their Riley, Riley, Wood and Waggett Album. They are hoping that the results will be made available soon. Brian Wood - Guitarist and Pedal Steel Player with the Band, contacted me the other day, he has heard about you from somebody and would like me to try and put you in touch with him. I think that he wants your recollections of the Weston Park Concerts etc, in relation to Info about the Band that he is putting together, to go with the new recordings.

I would be grateful if you would contact me and then I can give Brian your details. Brian has for some time has been a member of Dave Berry's Band, The Cruisers.

Hoping to hear from you,

Regards,

Roy

Edited by KILLAMAROY

I attended every concert watching bands like SOB, Lazy Jake, Hot Property,Greensleeper to name but a few,Shape of the Rain had a huge following

in those days.I's there any history about Western Park concerts back in the early seventies,this was a great event and appreciated by many progressive rock fans in the area,it was probably Sheffield's answer to Woodstock.

Didn't some of the guys from SOB go on to become Saxon?

Great News! As well as Amazon, the Shape Of The Rain album, Riley, Riley, Wood and Waggett can now be listened to and purchased from iTunes! Many Thanks from the Band, to everyone who has shown interest in them and their Music!

Wow!! Latest e Bay Auction of Special Test Pressing, Promo Edition of Shape Of The Rain's 1971 RCA/NEON - Riley, Wood and Waggett. Album located in Japan. Starting Bid of $299.99 - £188.69. 20 Hours left to go at this time . . .

. Link to eBay Details ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHAPE-RAIN-SAME-Japan-LP-TEST-PRESS-G-Fold-Slv-NEON-VERTIGO-/130599119514?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item1e68506a9a

See the Shape Of The Rain Facebook Page, to look at the newly posted simple poster advertising the Band supporting Fleetwood Mac at Queen Mary College, University Of London circa 1969/70 ...

A Great Shape Of The Rain Acoustic Track Video, has just been posted on to You Tube! 'Castles' ...