Bands of the 60's - shape of the rain

I attended every concert watching bands like SOB, Lazy Jake, Hot Property,Greensleeper to name but a few,Shape of the Rain had a huge following

in those days.I's there any history about Western Park concerts back in the early seventies,this was a great event and appreciated by many progressive rock fans in the area,it was probably Sheffield's answer to Woodstock.

I remember Lazy Jake. Great rock band. They used to do Free stuff. Well they would with name like that. Lead singer had really long thick hair (could have been a red head). Cant remember his name, but his girlfriend was called Cathy. And if she reads this I want my "Free Story" album back. :hihi:

New Shape Of The Rain post on You Tube. Search on Google or You Tube for SHAPE OF THE RAIN - WASTING MY TIME

New Shape Of The Rain post on You Tube. Search on Google or You Tube for SHAPE OF THE RAIN - WASTING MY TIME

Thanks for posting , I haven't heard this track for a long, long time.:clap:

Just Found Today, the latest Shape Of The Rain Posting on You Tube -

'Willowing Trees'. Hope that you enjoy.

Awesome Roy, I am off on a prog rock bender. :D The guy who is putting the songs up. His youtube channel is pretty damn good. Roll on the re-make if it happens.

Edited by Lostrider

Wow now this has appeared.

Wow now this has appeared.

Thanks Lostrider, It's really Amazing! I will let Keith Riley Know about 'Woman'! Take care, R

Another Shape Of Thr Rain Post on You Tube, this time the song .. Patterns!

Saw Shape of the Rain a few times in and around Sheffield in 1970-1972; they were managed at the time by a guy called Dave McPhee who also ran a fantastic record shop called Some Kinda Mushroom on St.James's Place - anyone else remember that groovy little hippy pad?

They should've played at a gig Dave put on in Chesterfield (March 1970) but got the elbow by Edgar Broughton as there was only time for one more band to play - i was standing with Dave when Edgar was holding forth on who should go on - admittedly, the Broughtons were the headliners - man!, but it was starting to get a bit 'heavy'; Keef Hartley was there, and the Strawbs with Rick Wakeman (even!).

Seems like it all happened in The Dark Ages..................................

Saw Shape of the Rain a few times in and around Sheffield in 1970-1972; they were managed at the time by a guy called Dave McPhee who also ran a fantastic record shop called Some Kinda Mushroom on St.James's Place - anyone else remember that groovy little hippy pad?

They should've played at a gig Dave put on in Chesterfield (March 1970) but got the elbow by Edgar Broughton as there was only time for one more band to play - i was standing with Dave when Edgar was holding forth on who should go on - admittedly, the Broughtons were the headliners - man!, but it was starting to get a bit 'heavy'; Keef Hartley was there, and the Strawbs with Rick Wakeman (even!).

Seems like it all happened in The Dark Ages..................................

I remember going to a Daytime Music Performance at Chesterfield Rugby Ground around 1970 which featured Edgar Broughton. Is that the one you are talking about?

Take care, R

I remember going to a Daytime Music Performance at Chesterfield Rugby Ground around 1970 which featured Edgar Broughton. Is that the one you are talking about?

Take care, R

The gig i was at was at Stonegravels (which i think was the home ground of Chesterfield R.U. club) and it was in the evening/night; Keef Hartley Band were the openers, followed by The Strawbs & then the Edgar Broughton Band. I think the intention was for Shape of the Rain to go on directly before the Broughtons - probably as they were a popular local band and because Dave was their manager and had organized the gig - but for whatever reason (maybe they turned up late!) they never got to play. We travelled in by bus from Sheffield and walked a good part of the way back before we got a lift from a lorry driver.

As well as running 'Some Kinda Mushroom' in Sheffield, Dave also had a record shop in Chesterfield, just off Sheffield Road as you come out of town. Bought Can's 'Monster Movie' and a Zeppelin double bootleg plus some import 7" singles - wish i still had that lot!

Happy daze/BB