Anyone know of Charles Ernest Sneesby

Does anyone know of the above person Sorting through my mother's belongings I found details of his death on 14th April 1945 at Dunkirk, and some photographs which his family may like to have.

Please contact me via this forum if anyone has any information.

Many thanks

Lorraine

Hi - Charles Ernest Sneesby was evidently born in Sheffield in Jan-Mar 1916, and married Edith Holberry Aldam in Jan-Mar 1940. According to the births index they did not have any children, and this of course makes it more difficult to find any living relatives. The Commonwealth War Graves Commission web page gives details of his parents William Henry and Mary Ann Sneesby - they were married in Sheffield in 1904. They appear in the 1911 census return at "back of 127 Scotland Street" with four children at that time. Good luck in your quest!

Hi,

there is what looks like a very big network of Sneesby's and families of the girls who were formerly Sneesby's out there. It appears that William Henry and Mary Ann had at least 13 children. If there were 4 on the 1911 census (birth records didn't show Mothers maiden name before this) there are then at least 9 Sneesby births that do show Clarke as mothers maiden name. Looks like there were a couple killed during wartime and a couple of baby deaths but with such a big family there must surely be living descendants.

Thanks for the replies. He was my mother's (Edith Holberry Aldam) first husband and you are correct they did not have any children. Hopefully as you say with such a large family someone out there may know of them.

Thanks again.

Hi Lorraine,

Cam across this by chance. I've done a fair bit of research on the Sneesbys (with my mother being a Sneesby from the Cambs branch). The Sheffield Sneesbys were descended from a branch of the family that was based in Westminster in the 1600's, with a Richard Sneesby moving to Derbyshire in the late 1600's. I made contact with living descendents in Australia a few years ago. I will see if I can dig out the contact details for them.

Cheers

Robin