'Davy Crockett' dies aged 85

Sad to read that Fess Parker who starred as Davy Crockett in the 1950's has died, although 85 is a good age. I remember seeing the Disney film in 1954 and as a young lad going out to buy a coonskin hat from Woolies so that I could imagine myself as ' the King of the Wild Frontier'. Even bought the theme tune on a 78 rpm vinyl disc. I think he went on in the 60's to play another frontiersman Daniel Boone and was also in the Disney film 'Old Yeller'.

R. I. P. Fess and thanks for the memories.

Just said on another thread, I remember seeing Fess Parker when he came to the Abbeydale picture house to publicise the film in the fifties, he was a very big lad....

Another song from that film seems very appropriate, it went,

"Farewell to the mountains who's mazes to me were more beautiful by far than Edens could be"

... Even bought the theme tune on a 78 rpm vinyl disc.
If you'd like to hear it again, here's a tribute. As you say, R. I. P. Fess, and keep singin' in the Great Beyond.

Anyone remember 'Baby Crockett' in one of the comics?

I seem to remember that Fess Parker made a second Davy Crockett film called Davy Crockett and the River Pirates. Frightening the things one remembers.

If you'd like to hear it again, here's a tribute. As you say, R. I. P. Fess, and keep singin' in the Great Beyond.

Thanks for that hillsbro. A good tribute.

The original 78, which had ' Robin Hood Riding through the Glen ' on the other side , disappeared years ago along with Perry Como's ' Magic Moments/ Catch a Falling Star '!

Thanks for that hillsbro. A good tribute.

The original 78, which had ' Robin Hood Riding through the Glen ' on the other side , disappeared years ago along with Perry Como's ' Magic Moments/ Catch a Falling Star '!

echo,

Could that be a blessing in disguise ?

All brings back memories, used to watch the Perry Como show before going out Saturday night.

He wore the cardy and sat in a rocking chair singing long before Val Dooney-thingy bobs....:hihi:

They really were Magic Moments..

Edited by grinder

Anyone remember 'Baby Crockett' in one of the comics?

Wasn't he in The Beezer ?

All the little boys had those Davy Crockett hats or wanted one! Didn't they sell them in Woolies?

I remember my mother making one for my little brother out of an old fox fur stole cast off by one of the grannies.

rubydazzler went to school with him lol

All the little boys had those Davy Crockett hats or wanted one! Didn't they sell them in Woolies?
Yes - they looked a bit like this (but with a shorter 'tail') and cost 3s.11d. All the 'in' crowd at Malin Bridge Junior had them..:)