The Penguin Mason Lathe Road. 80s

Just to name a few of the locals around at that time. Anyone remember these people.

Ian Lacey, Carl Brown, Craig Grundy, Kevin and Alan Stanley, Steve Brown, Erco, Joe Bows senior, Debbie Barratt, Tracey Kynoch, Barry Ashton and Mary, Peter Farnell, Mick Keenhan,

Jimmy Hart, Robert Sword,Tracey Crowther, Polish Sean and Hilary ,the shorts, noonkie needham, and big Russell.

A few of these were real characters lol

Who did the disco's?

Only person i knew from the list is pete farnell. I used to go on a thursday for the life rock bands

I believe the one nick named Erco was Peter Farnells brother in law.

I cant remember his real name but his mum was mary i think, she was the one always got up to dance in the penguin.

Just to name a few of the locals around at that time. Anyone remember these people.

Ian Lacey, Carl Brown, Craig Grundy, Kevin and Alan Stanley, Steve Brown, Erco, Joe Bows senior, Debbie Barratt, Tracey Kynoch, Barry Ashton and Mary, Peter Farnell, Mick Keenhan,

Jimmy Hart, Robert Sword,Tracey Crowther, Polish Sean and Hilary ,the shorts, noonkie needham, and big Russell.

A few of these were real characters lol

Who did the disco's?

There were some great Friday night talent nights they had on there in the 70's in the concert room, and the Magnet was always a good pint there.

Edited by sparkyfred

Almost forgot about the excellent pint of magnet. Had a few sore heads with that stuff:)

I used to work at the penguin lol gawd that was many moons ago

Not tracey?

I`ve got to say i prefered the shiregreen hotel to the penguin but i did have some good nights in the penguin

you must know me spud....I used to drink in the penguin when on leave, and I am indeed in a Band that plays in the Blue Anchor, Helston

I used to work at the penguin lol gawd that was many moons ago

Saw this and wondered who you are because I worked there to.Names I remember were Olive,Tom and Winnie Billingham,Ian MaKennan, Tom Hattley.and of coarse Colin and Shiela Goddard the landlord and landlady.

---------- Post added 22-08-2016 at 10:06 ----------

Remember the pub opening .It had a freeze on the wall in the lounge with penguins on .Forget the name of the landlord but I can picture him and his family.After a few years he took the Tinsley club and his son took a pub in Derbyshire at Bradwell called the Bowling Green With Collin Goddard taking over the Penguin.Later on the original landlord took over the Trades Club in Rotherham.

Edited by petcharlie
more information

I remember Landlord, Colin and Sheila Goddard and Ian McKellan. I played football for the Penguin Sunday league team which finished runners up in 1972. Other players I recall at that time were Jack and Peter Bullivant, the Billau brothers, Alec McCauley, John Colville and Alan Greatorex. I've had many a pint of the lovely 'Magnet' beer and the bottled Old Ale, but sadly, neither of these are available now. In those days the pub was thriving and there were regular 'turns' arranged by the Landlord, in fact I'm pretty sure that Paul Shane appeared at some point. There also used to be a nobbly knees competition each year around Easter, which was a great laugh. Other names of people frequenting the pub at the time were Mick Crapper, Kevin Smith, Ray Kelcher, Alan Foers, David and Roger Bacon and Barry Rayner.

The football team manager at the time was Charlie Glaves. Does anyone else remember these times and people?