Help trojan horses

Mo, you can just delete them. They are a pain, but as soon as you know where they are, you can get rid of them in a flash!

-Paul-

Thanks Paul for the advice but how do I find the little blighter in the first place?????:confused:

Originally posted by alchresearch

Try http://www.trojanscan.com to scan for Trojans on-line.

Or download AD-AWARE, another good free utility.

I used Trojanscan and guess what, no trojans found so I'm really stumped now.

:confused:

Well with them being exe files 9 times out of 10, if you press Ctrl + Alt + Delete you are given a list of all the programs that are running on your comp at that time, and the trojan should be one of them. So if there are any programs you don't reconise or haven't seen before, then take down their names and search for them : Start> Find> Files or Folders.. (Thats how you search on win98 as im not an xp man myself :rolleyes: ). Once you've found it, make it no more! :P

-Paul-

The only problem with that is that a number of trojans are 'hijacking' legitimate Windows files, making them difficult to spot - such as the case with one that overwrites csrss.exe

Edit - added following:

This is your best bet:

Start REGEDIT

Navigate to Hkey_local_machine/software/microsoft/windows/currentversion/run

Note down all files in that folder

Go to http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm and compare the programs you have with the ones in this list.

Originally posted by alchresearch

The only problem with that is that a number of trojans are 'hijacking' legitimate Windows files, making them difficult to spot - such as the case with one that overwrites csrss.exe

It doesn't overwrite it otherwise Windows would go tits up - it puts itself in a different path.

Belle~

That is scary and I'd have suspected the same people.

I don't have any advice I'm afraid, just wanted to say this cos noone seems to have acknowledged your concerns and I wanted to say I hear you.

chances are it was a 'random' attack - there's a million and one script kiddies around the world all trying the same thing :rolleyes:

Yeah, you don't want to start getting paranoid.

If you are concerned abotu your computers security, head on over to www.grc.com and get a free systems check.

Are hardware firewalls worth their weight in gold? I've heard they start at around £80 and keep problems away.

Originally posted by Classic Rock

Are hardware firewalls worth their weight in gold? I've heard they start at around £80 and keep problems away.

A hardware firewall won't necessarily be the end to your problems, after all a firewall can't stop you clicking on an exe in an email that, although it appears to be a harmless game, actually contains a trojan which is installed on your machine.

I have a hardware firewall at home though, and have never had a virus on my home network, never had a DoS attack and feel pretty secure as a result.

I think the best defence is knowledge though. I have just acquired a load of books on hacking, not so that I can break into the Pentagon, but so that I know the threat I am facing. And what a lot of people don't realise is that you don't have to have upset someone to be a target. There are plenty of easily obtainable programs that simply scan the internet for computers with vunerabilities to exploit. A lot of people do this for "fun", some do it to try and obtain passwords and other personal info.