Chilli Growing.

I think this year will be my 3rd or 4th, and no success at all so far :( If I buy bigger plants with chillis already on, then thats the only chance of actual chillis I get, and I'm sure that doesn't count. I've never successfully grown a single fruit (are chillis a fruit? I think they are?). Its such a shame cos every year I'm enticed by the opportunity to have abundant chilli plants all over the garden, and it always ends in abject disappointment

I might go and lurk in the gardening/allotment group and see if there are any secret tips floating about.

They need to be grown indoors or in a greenhouse or poly-tunnel for most of the time. You can put them out in the height of summer if it is warm enough but I had mixed results due to cooler wet days interfering I think.

Yeah, I just stick mine in the windowsill and water them everyday; hey presto, hundreds of chillies. They are so easy to grow. At one point last year I had so many of them around the house that I had to chuck some!

What type is everyone growing? I had Piri Piri.

I can wholly recommend the Nigella Lawson Chilli Jam recipe (it is available online) to use up chillies.

I used 100% chillies rather than 50/50 chillies and sweet(bell) peppers and it still wasn't that hot. Mine turned out absolutely divine.

I will have to get my seed packets out, I have grown a few varieties and can't remember the names, Hungarian hot wax springs to mind though as one of them.

anyone got any cuttings they want to give me? i grew some years ago, but haven't done for years...

if not, wheres the best place to get the plants from?

I don't know anyone that would bother with cuttings, they are quick and easy to grow from seed. You can buy them later in the season from Garden Centres (and some supermarkets) if your seedlings look a bit pathetic.

I've been gowing them for years in pots. They like plently of light but don't like to be scorched. You'll need a vat of water too because they drink like a fish.

I always found that mine grew better purched on a windowsill. A drop of water everyday and tones of light, given they were in a south facing window and I had a wonderful crop in the end.

Well thet have been in for a week.........and nothing has happened.

How long should it take to see signs of growth??

Well thet have been in for a week.........and nothing has happened.

How long should it take to see signs of growth??

really depends on the type of chillies as to when they start to germinate. Could be 1-3 weeks, Habenero chillies can take 6 weeks or longer. The key to chillie growing is to be patient.

really depends on the type of chillies as to when they start to germinate. Could be 1-3 weeks, Habenero chillies can take 6 weeks or longer. The key to chillie growing is to be patient.

Thanks, I'm terribly impatient unfortunately. 3 to 6 weeks it is, I have no idea of the chilli variety because it was one I dried from last year, I got it from the market. All I know is they were very hot, thin orange chilis.

Might be worth germinating them on damp tissue paper in a glass, then when they shoot you can pot them up.

i grow about 20 pots full last year.

i got a heated propogator free from freecycle and grew from seeds to seedlings in that then transplanted to pots on the windowledge until the weather got warmer. they spent all summer in the garden ina wind free corner and gave me a fairly large tupperware tub full of fruit some of which i froze and are still using some of which i dried.

I also have a really good patatas bravas recipe that I use fresh chillis in. I'd feel so proud if they were home grown ones!

Please could you post your recipe libuse? - I love patatas bravas!

well, i sewed some seeds a fortnight ago, and now 5 out of the ten pots have germinated. now got to work out how big a pot to move them up to! :D

Please could you post your recipe libuse? - I love patatas bravas!

Its from a Simon Rimmer book, although I've messed about with it a bit;

Get some olive oil in a roasting dish really hot and then add some half inch cubed potatoes (sort of enough to cover the bottom of an average sized roasting tin with spaces in between)

When the potatoes have started to brown, 10 mins or so, pour in a good quality tin of chopped tomatoes, a couple of crushed garlic cloves, some dried chilli flakes and some black pepper

Give them about half an hour, til the potatoes are cooked and the tomato is just a goo coating the potatoes, then throw in a finely chopped green chilli, some chopped fresh parsley, some more black pepper and serve.

The above is from memory, and there must be salt in there somewhere, but I'm sure you'll work that bit out. Obviously the chilli amounts are variable and to taste

Hope it works!

well, i sewed some seeds a fortnight ago, and now 5 out of the ten pots have germinated. now got to work out how big a pot to move them up to! :D

Cool, did you start them indoors or out?? What variety are they?

Mine haven't started yet but I'm hopeful they will.....