Car/garage advice needed

ok here goes

when we had that unexpected snow about 4 weeks ago , I was going very slowly but banged my front right wheel into the kerb

the following day whilst traveling at about 40mph the car lost control, (as if it was on ice) I was ok

I slowed down and crawled it into the garage.

2 days later garage rang to say it was done

200 quid..2 new front tyres as old were worn

replaced front suspension arm as old one was bent and a new bush?? as old one was split....with me so far

as i drove home the car steered aggressively to the side upon accelleration

it did nt do this before..

I took it back, the guy did a drive with me and agreed it was not right and ....still has it

he says he has checked the chassis, the gears, the axl..everything still no better.

he has my car after almost 4 weeks

( he gave me a courtesy car after week 1 thank you )

I have not yet paid him but I want to know what to do..

any advice please,,he seems a nice bloke who simply says he is completely flumoxed ( his actual words)

looking frwards to your advice :huh:

Negotiate a price for the work he has done, pay that, get your car back and take it somewhere else.

anyone recommend anywhere else to take it.

problem is it is worse than when I took it there.

I Dont think it is safe to drive anywhere never mind home.

Not that im a mechanic but if the suspension arm is replaced on one side it may be out balance?

daft question but has he tracked it? As it will need this doing after a suspension part replace or maybe the bump damaged the steering rack

he said he has done tracking , he has had it to his friends at car craft and at car clinic...he is stumped.

i want my car fixed.or back I don't want to pay for the privaledge of paying for my car to be made worse. but at what point could it be written off

when your vehicle had hit the kerb, the impact may of possibly caused the wheel castor/camber angle to move out of its prescribed tolerance, i would say that the offending side of impact has excess positive camber, this will remove the 'akerman effect' designed into the suspension system, and have an adverse affect on the steering and controlability on the vehicle. i would suggest to make sure all 4 wheels are in sound condition, then have a 4 wheel laser alignment carried out, (NOT a front wheel alignment) this will allow if possible, the factory settings for castor/camber alongwith the toe in/out to be restored.

if you imagine a straight line running from bonnet to the boot, this is called "thrust line", every setting on one side of the vehicle should mirror the opposing side.

i would pay your outstanding balance and take your car elsewhere for a 4 wheel tracking check/adjustment as it sounds to me like either the tracking is still out or the steering rack arm is bent

Would suggest you agree the bill with the guy and pay. Then take your car to another garager, use the "Good Garage Scheme" to source one. i can recommend Harvey Clough Garage at Graves Park as I have my car serviced etc. there. Run by 2 brother Chris and Mark who will give you honest quote and assessment backed up by membership of said scheme.