Oh Dear, Ollie!!

we decided to go out today we made sure ollie had all his toys and was comfy, we coam home to find my kitchen blind ...destroyed..any help on leaving him without causing him distress please, He is 12weeks old. thanks

Have you thought about crate training him? So when you leave him he cant destroy everything, gradually you'll be able to leave door open.

have you got a dog crate? thats a lifeline for me with rebel really worth getting one then you know both pup and your house ar safe.

I dont agree on crates. Your best bet is to take everything out of the room that your dog can chew, urinate on or rip to shreds! The only other advise I can give you is to be very patient. My dog is now 15 months and stopped chewing at about 13 months.

Not digging Sara just curious (knowing alot of people can take things out of context) why dont you like crates???

I never used it as a punishment but i would rather know my dogs not chewing up wires and potentially hurting itself. My collie didnt like it at first but when he was tired or got fed up he LOVED his crate.

imo, crates are good, at least you can go out knowing that they can't hang themselves on the blind cord, or chew a cable. If you always put them into their crate at bedtime, they get used to associating it with being safe and resting themselves. Don't put him in the crate and then just go out and leave him though, get him used to it first with you being in the room etc. You'll know when he's happy with it, when he goes in of his own accord. :)

I'm not a fan of crates, for very short periods of time/ travel and new places they are great and I would be happy to train my dog to use one for these times. I am more uncomfortable if they are used for more than a couple of hours I don't agree with them for dogs to be left in.

Things that I have tried and seem to have worked are:

1) stuffed kong toy (semi frozen makes it last longer)

2) A nylon chew bone

3) leave the radio on

4) Make your dog sit where it is left for 30 mins when you are still in the house (build up to it)

5) leave a radio on quietly

6) Don't leave any temptations out

7) Keep to one smallish room

8) A wooden block toy (but be aware it might get chewed!) This no good for my dog as he can do them and get the treats out in less than 3 minutes!

9) practise for 10 mins leaving and build from there.

Good luck, they tend to grow out of it eventually :rolleyes:

Not digging Sara just curious (knowing alot of people can take things out of context) why dont you like crates???

I never used it as a punishment but i would rather know my dogs not chewing up wires and potentially hurting itself. My collie didnt like it at first but when he was tired or got fed up he LOVED his crate.

I know alot of people use them and I dont knock anyone who does but I just dont like them. I had one once for my rottie but it seemed to turn him into a complete different dog! I didnt like what it did to him so I refused to use them anymore.

I know alot of people use them and I dont knock anyone who does but I just dont like them. I had one once for my rottie but it seemed to turn him into a complete different dog! I didnt like what it did to him so I refused to use them anymore.

I guess its not right for some dogs its always a case of hit and miss. My mums dog hates dog crates so has never used one.