Sympathetic dentist recommendation

anyone know of a very good but sympathetic dentist taking on patients (not private)?? i am desperate for a tooth to be removed but am not registered after blundering work from another dentist left me even more dentistphobic than i already was ( i had taken tranquilizers to go see him) i know some of you will think i am stupid for being like this but after the treatment i have had in the past, my fears have got worse.:(

Thompson & Thomas are REALLY good. I would give the thumbs up icon here by my computer won't let me. Anyhow, my new dentist was recommended to me after a dentist up at Walkley let me down. Thompson & Thomas were awarded best dentist of 2009 and have won numerous awards for their services to their patients.

If it is an emergency get yourself to the Charles Clifford dental hospital and they will sort you out, very understanding and will put you at ease. It is a teaching hospital and they have certain standards to keep to don't worry about having a student do the work as they are supervised and when I went the registrar did the work anyway. Good luck there's nowt worse than toothache!

Darling & Evans are very good and are still taking patients I believe. Usual lead time for new patients to be seen is about 3-4 weeks (this is standard), so if it's more urgent they may be able to accommodate you. Or go to Charles Clifford if it's really urgent.

I hadn't (re-)registered with a dentist for ten years because of phobia, so I get where you're coming from, but I've pretty much overcome that now because a good dentist will put you at ease and take their time.

Edited by pberry

I'd recommend the harwood clinic at Waterthorpe.

Really good work and sympathetic.

Hi sorry to thread crash but is there any dentists local to S5 who are taking on NHS patients? I rang Southey as someone told me they were taking on but it seems that at the moment they are not. So need one local to S5 if possible.

http://www.nhs.uk/ServiceDirectories/Pages/Trust.aspx?id=5N4&v=3&pid=5N4

missflirtuk - try that, just scroll down and click on them closest to you and it tells you their patient status.

K8ndaz - if you go to any dentist, call them and tell them how nervous you are and they will assign you to the friendliest one. I tend to find female dentists are much ore sympathetic. Try the link above to find ones near you that are taking them on and it also tells you if they have female dentists. Good luck xx

Ocu-dental are taking on new patients. 0114 279 5451

Just been myself and im well scared of them. Seems to be and all woman practice there too .The lady held my hand all the way through it bless and told me to squeeze if it started to hurt. And guess what, didnt hurt a bit xxx :hihi:

Ocu-dental are taking on new patients. 0114 279 5451

Just been myself and im well scared of them. Seems to be and all woman practice there too .The lady held my hand all the way through it bless and told me to squeeze if it started to hurt. And guess what, didnt hurt a bit xxx :hihi:

I too am scared stiff of the dentist! it was only severe pain that i got in as nhs patient at hurlfield dental practice.I havent looked back since.Dont like going for my 6 month app but now trust them totally.Although Lucys dentist sounds great:banana: good luck with your search..

Dr Grewal is excellent based on Birley moor Road is fabulous.

Avoid Hurlfield dental practise like the plague.. They actually left me in more pain than I was in initially

Not private................I don't envy you.

I was left rather traumatised after going to Charles Clifford twice (they didn't do it properly the first time) but now I'm registered with Broadfield Dentists (near the Broadfield pub on Abbeydale Road) and they're ace. I'm not sure what my dentists name is, but they all seem really nice. She's re-done that crap job that Charles clifford did and now I'm not scared of dentists again! They're number is - 0114 2550772