Queen's Road bus lane

What is the point of Queen's Rd bus lane near the skating rink? I drive down there every day around 8.30am and can honestly say that you're lucky if you see a bus, but the other lane is chocca bloc. It can take ages to get through, and so some take a chance and drive down the bus lane, and I don't blame them, but now there are signs up that cameras are in operation so the drivers that used to go down the bus lane are now keeping in the car lane, hence, even longer time to get to work. Also how much did it cost to erect the matrix, it's only there to tell you when United are at home. More money well spent I don't think.

If the bus lane wasnt there the buses would end up late as they would be in the lane choco block with cars, as im sure both lanes would be.

The matrix boards you talk about do advertise when united are at home, but can be changed if anything happens, for example not long ago they were lighted up telling you of the bus strikes by first, handy for anyone who didnt know it was happening, also they changed in the summer to alert drivers to the possiblity of extra traffic when the university was taking the new students in.

They will change, but when there is nothing to alert drivers to, why not alert them to the fact of extra traffic on match days??

i think you can drive through bus lanes at certain times, and maybe its because at 8.30 am buses are only just starting running?

i think you can drive through bus lanes at certain times, and maybe its because at 8.30 am buses are only just starting running?

Buses only start to run at half 8??

It's a good job you don't run public transport then :D

They will change, but when there is nothing to alert drivers to, why not alert them to the fact of extra traffic on match days??

Surely drivers should be concentrating on the road, not even more totally pointless signs?

the area ur on about is only a timed bus lane ... morning & afternoon peak hours ... other times inc all day sat & sun cars can use it quite legally ... but alas as has been stated many ignore it even in the stated period .... now ya know why buses get late!

The point I was trying to make, is that there are very few buses using this particular bus lane, so is is necessary. On the whole I agree with bus lanes, and they are usually well used. As for keeping your eye on the road and not the matrixes, why are they there if not to warn drivers of impending problems, and as you have a long wait here there's plenty of time to read it without any danger to other road users

Surely drivers should be concentrating on the road, not even more totally pointless signs?

If your stuck bumper to bumper in taffic and a sign lights up to tell you why, maybe a road closed you was going to use, would that be helpful??

Also how much did it cost to erect the matrix, it's only there to tell you when United are at home. More money well spent I don't think.

The variable message signs (VMS) are part of the South Yorkshire Intelligent Transport System (SYITS) project. There are similar signs in other parts of South Yorks too.

The theory is that if drivers are given warning of problems ahead, they can make informed choices. Systems like this have been proven to reduce overall congestion levels.

If the bus lane wasnt there the buses would end up late as they would be in the lane choco block with cars, as im sure both lanes would be.

The matrix boards you talk about do advertise when united are at home, but can be changed if anything happens, for example not long ago they were lighted up telling you of the bus strikes by first, handy for anyone who didnt know it was happening, also they changed in the summer to alert drivers to the possiblity of extra traffic when the university was taking the new students in.

Prime example of how narrow minded one can be.

If there was no bus lane and buses were to be late the Council would be encouraged to resolve congestion issues for all.

Not sure how relevant your point about the useless signs are since the OP referred to the bottom of Queens Road, beyond the football ground. The OP is correct in saying one seldom sees buses and the rare buses that use Queens Road use the right lane on the approach to Farm Bridge, making the bus lane redundant.

The theory is that if drivers are given warning of problems ahead, they can make informed choices. Systems like this have been proven to reduce overall congestion levels.
You know as well as us that is not true. If ever they were informative we have no choice, all roads in Sheffield are blocked at some point or another. John Street being the last victim. Suffolk Road is one way, Farm Bridge no longer is a giratory, Duchess Street is one way between Queens and Edmund... Describing any area of Sheffield is describing a one way system.
You don't go outside very often do you? Does your mother drive you everywhere you need to go?

Captain Scarlet, the council have tried to resolve congestion, by introducting bus lanes, sadly narrow minded individuals, who dont see a bus in them every 30 seconds want them abolished, yes might sound good to car drivers, but them where the bus lane was would then be two lines of stationary commuter traffic, you say that the council would have to resolve congestion problems for all then, but how? i can prossible see a way that Sheffield council could abolish all congestion in and around Sheffield.

The Infomation boards ARE a good idea, they give Information, what people do with that information them decides wether they are usefull, if it says park square roundabout is closed, you could then use your loaf and plan an alternative route, or like many people just stand in the queue of traffic and wait for it to re-open :roll:

Im sure because you have raised this issue that you have a point to abolishing buslanes to reduce congestion for all, so what is it?

Well!

What a ill mannered lot you are, can't have discussion without insults. says a lot about you doesn't it. Wonder where you were brought up. I've just joined and hoped for some interesting conversations but obviously I was wrong.