Why do we have to pay for AV software?

I have gone through just about every AV software that is on the go, from Norton (what a joke!), to Kapersky. They all miss something or other out!

Install Sandboxie for the best security.

It's free and highly regarded.

http://www.sandboxie.com/

Either dual boot by installing them to different hard disk partitions & have a menu at startup to chose os, or by virtualisation, using something similar to vmware to run operating systems in virtual machines.

Why would you want to? Is a much better question. You've got to deal with the problems of two os's, when you only really want to run one.

Yes, a much better question. I just want to enjoy the system that i have without any hassle or added exspense, which takes us full circle to my OP.

Install Sandboxie for the best security.

It's free and highly regarded.

http://www.sandboxie.com/

But that's what they all say! What i am trying to get at, is that there should be no need to download any AV software if Microsoft did their job right! No offence Kingmaker2. :)

If Microsoft supplied their security essentials software with Windows by default, they would immediately have an anti-competition lawsuit thrown at them and all sales of Windows stopped.

Not AV, but what about Windows Firewall? Isn't that installed and turned on by default? And, as such, anti-competitive?

How can you blame Microsoft for virus writers? Do you really think all other systems are immune to viruses, because they are not. Its just that no one bothers to write viruses for other systems because of the market share they have.

Not AV, but what about Windows Firewall? Isn't that installed and turned on by default? And, as such, anti-competitive?

Dun't work! :)

How can you blame Microsoft for virus writers? Do you really think all other systems are immune to viruses, because they are not. Its just that no one bothers to write viruses for other systems because of the market share they have.
Indeed. Its like blaming your immune system for letting you get a cold...

That's completely untrue. Mac users are a really big target, they tend to be wealthier than PC users, but there are no Mac viruses or worms 'in the wild', not one.

Same for other unix variants, they might only be on a minority of desktops, but it's the majority of internet servers, some really high value targets there too. They never get viruses either.

The only reason you can get viruses on Windows is because Microsoft ignored established security principles when they wrote it. It's a design flaw in Windows, a massive one.

It's close to impossible to write a popular virus for Macs or Linux, because you'd need to give it your root password for it to be allowed to modify any system files. It couldn't even easily infect other users of the same computer. With Windows you just need to visit a website that's running a dodgy advert, it doesn't even have to be a dodgy website, they usually have no control over the ads they serve.

Edited by anywebsite

You can't blame Microsoft for virus writers, you are right. But you can blame Microsoft for selling there products to Joe Public for many a shiney new pence without Joe realising that he will be hamered by every virus going, when Microsoft have the means to stop it, but don't!!

Dun't work! :)

WAD - Working As Designed :P

WAD - Working As Designed :P

Yes, your words are true.

But that's what they all say! What i am trying to get at, is that there should be no need to download any AV software if Microsoft did their job right! No offence Kingmaker2. :)

Actually Sandboxie isn't an antivirus product.

But what it does do very effectively is stop Viruses and Spyware from being written to your hard disk in the first place.

In that regard it probably will give you better protection than just about any antivirus/antimalware software you have ever tried.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of Microsoft and believe that they should make their products much more protected out of the box......but that's not to be, and there are too many clever malicious techies out there trying to cause mayhem for all sorts of purposes.