The Horseshoe, Shiregreen.

Never went in much , but a good pub back in the sixties, If I remember the landlord was called White, an ex fireman I understand.

My memory is not what it was;but didn`t they have a chap playing the piano of a Saturday night? We used to go in there early`ish sixties for a couple. Before going down to St Christophers? church hall further down Bellhouse Rd.

My memory is not what it was;but didn`t they have a chap playing the piano of a Saturday night? We used to go in there early`ish sixties for a couple. Before going down to St Christophers? church hall further down Bellhouse Rd.

I am not sure about the piano player it was not a pub i used but as I said my grandfather was always in there.

As for the church hall at St Christophers I used to go there in the early sixties .It was a youth club with a difference.T hey used to have live music on and they had some top groups on .I saw the Mersey Beats there .Can you imagine a youth club today having top groups on?It would not happen now .I think two guys called Lister and Smith ran it .They were local guys who also had a coach business and a fruit shop.

I am not sure about the piano player it was not a pub i used but as I said my grandfather was always in there.

As for the church hall at St Christophers I used to go there in the early sixties .It was a youth club with a difference.T hey used to have live music on and they had some top groups on .I saw the Mersey Beats there .Can you imagine a youth club today having top groups on?It would not happen now .I think two guys called Lister and Smith ran it .They were local guys who also had a coach business and a fruit shop.

Correct, Wilf smith and Gorden lister. Wilf was a good mate of mine.

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 04:30, petcharlie said:

As well as the Merseybeats, ( for whatever reason) they, St. Christopher's-) had quite a few groups from the Liverpool area late '63 early '64. I saw Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders -who were from Manchester- who had already had a chart hit there in 1964. So the Stringfellow's didn't have it all their own way.

On 10/12/2019 at 22:04, theimposter said:

Does anyone know what year the Horseshoe shut??

I reckon around 2002/03. I kept going in right until it's closure. Changed from a wonderful pub into a drug infested ****hole. A real shame. Over 30 years spent in there playing for the footy and snooker teams making a hell of a lot of very good friends along the way. Great times.

Horseshoe in the end was a <removed> hole ....the wharny and the sicey were a lot better ....pubs ....  

Edited by nikki-red