The Horseshoe, Shiregreen.

me and our kid and downsie drink with dan now...... who are u?

my older Brother Keith was a big mate of Danny..also Ernie Revell and Barry Hanson.......

You lived on Botham street :confused:

Yep,until 1972,when the clearance started.lived at the very bottom no3.Moved to sicey avenue.

In the same yard as the Pinders then ? I was off moss st

The pinders lived further up from us.Our house stood on its own at the very bottom,with a big open yard,our neighbours were Renwicks,Sutcliffes and Butlers.

Yes ,we always called Horseshoe "Afferties" i dont know why but remember going to weddings etc in the hut at the back.

Jim.

Apart from Francis I knew a lass called Angela Butler think they were related though our paths will have crossed at some time or other have you visited the Grimesthorpe thread its great plenty names from yesteryear :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Angela Butler was my sisters best friend at that time,is the Francis the one who ran the youth club on grimesthorpe road ? i went there and played footy for them. Ive been on the grimesthorpe site yes. Met an old school mate JIM through it.:thumbsup:

---------- Post added 15-12-2017 at 09:50 ----------

Yes ,we always called Horseshoe "Afferties" i dont know why but remember going to weddings etc in the hut at the back.

Jim.

Well jim.i had totally forgot about the hut around the back.It's strange going past where it used to stand now.Block of apartments,I had a spell posting to those when i was at lane top depot !! :)

Yes , i think it was the hut that was called Afferties? ,Would be great to meet up again , Sorry but lost your mobile number . I have sent a PM but never sure about them .

Jim.

Left Shiregreen in the 70s so not sure what it ended up as .

Got your PM Steve.

That hut did it become Terrys second hand furniture ::help:

Yes, it did.

Apart from Francis I knew a lass called Angela Butler think they were related though our paths will have crossed at some time or other have you visited the Grimesthorpe thread its great plenty names from yesteryear :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Did Angela have a brother called Stuart?

Hi,yes Angela did have an older brother called Stuart.He was best friends with Kevin Renwick.They lived on Carlisle road at the bottom of Botham street.

Hi,yes Angela did have an older brother called Stuart.He was best friends with Kevin Renwick.They lived on Carlisle road at the bottom of Botham street.

The next time I see either of them I'll mention this thread.

Jim.

The name Afferties came from a old landlord who was known as Affertie.My grandad used the pub every day with his mates who were also well known they were known as Fredrick the pork butcher, Wild who was a fishmonger,and a guy called Goodman who was a tailor.This was before the war and during the war needless to say my dads family never went short during the coupon days.

The story goes the landlord would be able to set his watch by them and have ten pints of ale on the bar waiting for them to appear.

---------- Post added 16-01-2018 at 15:07 ----------

The name Afferties came from a old landlord who was known as Affertie.My grandad used the pub every day with his mates who were also well known they were known as Fredrick the pork butcher, Wild who was a fishmonger,and a guy called Goodman who was a tailor.This was before the war and during the war needless to say my dads family never went short during the coupon days.

The story goes the landlord would be able to set his watch by them and have ten pints of ale on the bar waiting for them to appear.

The spelling could be wrong it could well be Hafferty.