The new blue boxes for paper

Where do you live? you're posh, we just have an hairnet

If I remember correctly, when they first rolled the scheme out, it was nets. Quickly, this became hats for subsequent areas the scheme was rolled out to. I believe you can email or ring them and they will give you a hat instead of a net.

i live in s5 just round corner from magnet.

At least the council are trying eh!

From what i've seen the paper waste is mixed with water as part of the recycling process so wet paper is ok....biggest problem i can see is the size of the box's....we already fill 2 blue bins a month!!!

Absolutely. i needed the bigger blue bins as i fill the box too quick. The manufacturers need to be told to quit it with so much packaging anyway. why should we end up with so much extra crap. the house is always full of things ready to go in recycling containers. it gets on my wick!.

At least the council are trying eh!

Must...

Resist...

Temptation...

Oh, blow that for a game of soldiers:-

Yep. VERY trying! ;)

Why does it matter what container is used for what - why not supply a blue box and a blue bin together with 2 stick on labels. People could then use the blue bin for paper OR plastic and glass, whichever suits their lifestyle. Must it always be a 'one size fits all' solution.

Mixing of glass colours is O.K. if the glass is being used to make e.g. fibre glass insulation, it needs sorting if it is going to be used to make coloured bottles.

Why does it matter what container is used for what - why not supply a blue box and a blue bin together with 2 stick on labels. People could then use the blue bin for paper OR plastic and glass, whichever suits their lifestyle. Must it always be a 'one size fits all' solution.

Mixing of glass colours is O.K. if the glass is being used to make e.g. fibre glass insulation, it needs sorting if it is going to be used to make coloured bottles.

^^ Do they use the same lorry to pic up paper vs plastic n glass etc? If so then yes this would be the perfect solution. Although I maintain that it wouldn't have hurt them to supply 2 wheels n a removable handle for the paper box, such a small thing would benefit disabled/elderly people immensely.

We just got ours. I am confused by the plastics thing..... it says that you can put drinks bottles in the blue bin, but can you put plastic milk bottles in does anyone know? I mean like the four pint plastic ones not the paper cartons, I know those can't go in.

We just got ours. I am confused by the plastics thing..... it says that you can put drinks bottles in the blue bin, but can you put plastic milk bottles in does anyone know? I mean like the four pint plastic ones not the paper cartons, I know those can't go in.

OK, so I've just checked the Veolia website and they seem to be saying that (a) they accept 'plastic bottles' and that (b) the plastic will be separated into 3 different streams at the MRF. It is likely therefore, that the three types of plastic they want to be separating will be PET, HDPE and LDPE, as they can be separated using a flotation tank, one of the most common piece of equipment in an MRF. The reason they don't want certain plastics, such as yoghurt pots, is that they are often made from multiple plastics and are subsequently difficult to recycle. PET has a '1' with three arrows in a triangle around it, and HDPE has a '2' with three arrows around; LDPE is '4'.

Most plastic bottles are PET (1), however milk cartons are usually HDPE (2) and squeezy bottles are often LDPE (4). How I read it is that you can recycle all plastic bottles, including milk cartons. Perhaps someone at Veolia would respond to an email and let you know which plastic code types the MRF accepts.

Bringing this back to the real world, I would personally put all plastic, bottle-ish-shaped items into the blue bin. I'd also put all PET and HDPE items in that have numbers 1 and 2 on, regardless of whether they were bottles, as I don't know of any MRF that cannot deal with these two plastic types.

HJL Shef, that has just totally confused me. I want it spelled out exactly what can go in and not a load of Jargon that no one understands. They should give you a leaflet telling you exactly what can go in and not. What do we pay out taxes for to do the research ourselves on what can and can't go in.

Don't have any problem with recycling but at least put it in plain english.

I also agree that there should be wheels on it. I live in a flat and have to take my bins down to the carpark every week and certainly wouldn't be able to carry a box full of paper to it. Just gives us another wheelie bin. I have more paper and card than any other rubbish in my household and have also taken to leaving packaging in the supermarket let them get rid of it they produced it with there packaging.

HJL Shef, that has just totally confused me. I want it spelled out exactly what can go in and not a load of Jargon that no one understands. They should give you a leaflet telling you exactly what can go in and not. What do we pay out taxes for to do the research ourselves on what can and can't go in.

Don't have any problem with recycling but at least put it in plain english.

I also agree that there should be wheels on it. I live in a flat and have to take my bins down to the carpark every week and certainly wouldn't be able to carry a box full of paper to it. Just gives us another wheelie bin. I have more paper and card than any other rubbish in my household and have also taken to leaving packaging in the supermarket let them get rid of it they produced it with there packaging.

Sorry :) You can recycle all plastic bottles, including milk bottles, as far as I can determine. Do you not get a leaflet with your box/bin when they first arrive?

Sorry :) You can recycle all plastic bottles, including milk bottles, as far as I can determine. Do you not get a leaflet with your box/bin when they first arrive?

We got one and everything you need to know is in there. Regarding the plastics it even has pictures with ticks and crosses next to them. Couldn't be much simpler. Catherine100 - if you didn't get a booklet I suggest you ring 273 4567 and ask for one.