The new blue boxes for paper

Hese boxes are stupid why do I pay taxes to have to sort out my own rubbish

yeah my thoughts exactly:thumbsup:

dosnt it all end up in the same truck anyway? its just like taking an exam all this new recycling stuff I just cant be bothered with it all, the lots goin in the black bin its bigger! :hihi:

Had our first collection today,two lorries and two crews, I only saw two crew on the paper lorry.

Fortnightly collection of glass/plastics will mean that the recycling facilities at supermarkets will be adversly affected. Only Veolia and the Lib Dems live in a world where it is more efficient to collect bins/boxes from each house rather than send a lorry to collect a vast quantity from hundreds of houses from a single location.

The money saved by not introducing fortnightly collections could be used for quarterly collection of electrical appliances and bulky items which many people cannot transport to the main recycling centres and often end up fly-tipped.

Fortnightly collection of glass/plastics will mean that the recycling facilities at supermarkets will be adversly affected. Only Veolia and the Lib Dems live in a world where it is more efficient to collect bins/boxes from each house rather than send a lorry to collect a vast quantity from hundreds of houses from a single location.

It may not be more efficient, but it will encourage more people to recycle. It's pretty inconvenient to have to take recycling to supermarkets / recycling centres - think about people who don't use a car, or who shop at smaller local shops, or who get their shopping delivered...

The money saved by not introducing fortnightly collections could be used for quarterly collection of electrical appliances and bulky items which many people cannot transport to the main recycling centres and often end up fly-tipped.

There already is a service for collection of bulky items, but it's not free (which is probably why items end up fly-tipped).

Wish the paper boxes had a lid. Water makes them very heavy

Only Veolia and the Lib Dems live in a world where it is more efficient to collect bins/boxes from each house rather than send a lorry to collect a vast quantity from hundreds of houses from a single location.

I think you mean: Only Veolia, the Lib Dems and every other council in England etc that uses curbside collections or have your really assumed this is just a Sheffield thing?

Your statement may be true if the majority used the collection points in question....however, they dont/didnt.

I made the comment on the SHEFFIELD forum so did not feel it necessary to consider the wider picture - why not make the bins optional and get the best of both worlds. People who find it convenient, especially the wine/lager drinkers who buy bottles in larger quantities from supermarkets, should be allowed to do their own thing.

I agree with the broad concensus - it's great that we can now recycle plastics and bottles on our doorsteps, but who the hell thought a tiny little box without a lid or wheels was a good idea?!

In addition, reading my information leaflet that came with the new box, I see that the council would like us to put our boxes and bins out by 7am on the morning of collection (okay, easy peasy, you can do it the night before), but then bring the emptied bins back in by 9am. So does the council expect us all to take a morning off work every bin day?!

I agree with the broad concensus - it's great that we can now recycle plastics and bottles on our doorsteps, but who the hell thought a tiny little box without a lid or wheels was a good idea?!

You'll have to forgive my confusion as I've not actually seen one yet, but this thread is full of people moaning about how big and heavy the new boxes are, and now you're describing them as 'tiny little boxes'... :hihi:

....... but then bring the emptied bins back in by 9am. ...

That is "... before 9am on the day after collection."

That is "... before 9am on the day after collection."

Was going to say that would be interesting as sometimes its after 9am when they collect them.:hihi:

I have a question. Since the plastic that makes up bottles is the only thing we can put into the blue bin, what kind of plastic is it? Is there anything else made of this plastic that will be permitted or are bottles special?