Woodthorpe Hotel & Rex Cinema Intake

I'm sure the Woodthorpe closed earlier than 97, maybe late 95 early 96, my mother worked there so will check with her tomorrow!!

The last film I saw at the Rex was Physco and although I must have seen many others there, I can't remember them. Sheffield had that many cinemas during the fifties to early sixties that it's sometimes difficult to place them.

I seem to remember that the Woodthorpe had topless barmaids just before it closed down. Also recall seeing fights outside it on a Saturday night.

Did what used to be the Lo-Cost ever used to be a cinema, across from the Royal Oak pub?

I seem to remember that the Woodthorpe had topless barmaids just before it closed down. Also recall seeing fights outside it on a Saturday night.

Did what used to be the Lo-Cost ever used to be a cinema, across from the Royal Oak pub?

if I remember rightly the REX was completely demolished. I think the supermarket (that what we called it back then even though it's that small) was built on part of the site where as the REX was a bigger building that took up quite a bit of the sloping car park as well ? However, I am going back thirty odd years and my memory ain't what it used to be.

The supermarket used to be next door to the Rex and when the Rex was demolished it became the car park for the supermarket. I think that they have now built it on the Rex site though.

I can remember standing in queues like that before the TV made life so much better. I wonder if I'm in that queue?:D

I can remember standing in queues like that before the TV made life so much better. I wonder if I'm in that queue?:D

Lassie come home, starring Roddy McDowell.

Must have been mid 1940's. I think films did the rounds for quite a lot longer in those days, though.

A lot of those people in the queue don't have kids with them and they're going to see a Lassie film. Imagine that nowadays? Come to think of it, my wife and I did go to see that Disney film "Up" not too long ago, so adults going to kids' movies still happens.