Woodthorpe Hotel & Rex Cinema Intake

Can anyone help me with the years the Rex Cinema closed and also when the Woodthorpe Hotel closed at Intake.

Rex must have been around 1982 and the Woodthorpe about 1997????

Anyone know?

Rex closed December 23rd 1982.

Demolished October the following year.

Blimey I'm feeling old now. I saw the Buddy Holly story at The Rex

Blimey I'm feeling old now. I saw the Buddy Holly story at The Rex

That's not old. I saw the Christmas Carol at the Rex - the original Alistair Sims version when it was first released. Also, such classics as Down Among the Z Men with Harry Secombe and the Goons and Genevieve with John Gregson. Now that's old. Anyone remember either of those last two films btw or am I really dating myself?

Wasn't The Woodthorpe Hotel really called The Woodthorpe Arms?

Mike

Wasn't The Woodthorpe Hotel really called The Woodthorpe Arms?

Mike

Spot on, it was called the Woodthorpe Arms.

I imagine the Rex could do quite well if opened as a picture house again.It would be nice to go locally instead of trailing to the big complexes at Meadowhall etc.

That's not old. I saw the Christmas Carol at the Rex - the original Alistair Sims version when it was first released. Also, such classics as Down Among the Z Men with Harry Secombe and the Goons and Genevieve with John Gregson. Now that's old. Anyone remember either of those last two films btw or am I really dating myself?

Nah

I can remember seeing genevieve with john gregson amd Kenneth More cant remeber the names of the two ladies though

UMMMMMMMMM must be older than I thought LOL

I can remember seeing that as well didn't realise it was that old:o I also remember seeing The Robe and Carousell. I can't remember what the first film was that I saw there though.

Nah

I can remember seeing genevieve with john gregson amd Kenneth More cant remeber the names of the two ladies though

UMMMMMMMMM must be older than I thought LOL

Dinah Sheridan (Jenny Hanley's mum) & Kay Kendall

went on my first date with my late husband to the Rex in 1957. We were both 14 years old. The film was Lets be happy...can't remember who was in it! We used that cinema until it closed down. It was a really good cinema...it was a shame to see it go! At that time it cost 1/6d to get in ..downstairs!

Cal.

Do you remember that there used to be a car auction at the rear of the Woodthorpe Arms. I used the pub at lunch time on a regular daily basis for about a month, when I came home from Cyprus in 1962.

As for the Rex, I can remember when a kid could get in down at the front for 7d, in the 1940's.

Mike

Edited by Puffin4