When and what should i eat?

Since i have started my new job i have noticed i have put on weight. Im not getting used to the times, as i work night so i notice my self eatin loads or none at all and feeling ill. I want to lose weight but dont know what to eat and when. I am a VERY fussy eater. I dont like Veg, I dont like salad and I always end up binin the fruit. I have tried all the veg and salad but i just do not like it.

If you have any idears let me know. I start work at 11pm and finish at 7am. So i got to bed at 9am till 3pm then back at 7pm till 9pm. So if anyone has any idears on time and food it would be of grate use.

Thanks Emma

Hi Emma,

I work as a dietitian and know from people I've seen at work that shift work is tricky. You need to somehow fit breakfast lunch and dinner into your day with healthy snacks in between if you're hungry. What job do you do? Is it a heavy manual job that requires lots of energy? If so you might want to plan a main meal before the shift starts so it keeps your energy up.

As for what you eat, you need to be basing your meals around starchy carbohydrates (bread, potatoes, rice, pasta etc) and preferably veg. Have you tried all veg? There's so many available all with massively different textures and flavours. You could try disguising them e.g. chopping them really small in a bolognese sauce. I would always recommend to split your plate into thirds. Have one third carbs (cooked healthily. so have potatoes not chips and don't put loads of butter on!), one third veg (or fruit for afters) and a smaller third protein. For protein try to eat lean meats e.g. chicken or turkey, try to have red meat no more than twoce a week, stay away from processed meats such as nuggets and sausages and trim off all visible fat and skin before cooking. Fish, eggs and pulses are also really good sources of protein and less fat/calories than meat. If you're hungry try to pick healthy snacks e.g. diet yoghurts, fruit, toast, cereal, english muffins etc. Allow yourself the odd treat but be realistic in how much you're allowing yourself. Be careful of "extras" too like mayo in sandwiches, sugar in tea or cheese on your evening meal.

Well, that's a rather long reply! I hope you find some of it useful. Feel free to ask me any questions

The best thing to to loose some weight is to not eat anything but fruit until 12 noon, as the body takes only a small amoutn of time to digest fruit, this will add your meto' up. Also Never ever mix carbs with meat - this is a disaster for you to digest so only have either veg with carbs, or meat with veg. I followed all this and lost my office butt!

As a dietitian I wouldn't agree with the above advice but I guess what works for you is important