Any vets/cat experts online? concerned re kitten

Hi,

Got a kittne/cat from a rescue centre, Had her a couple of days now, she's 5 month old, she's very very quiet, sleeps most of the time, seems quite lathergic when handled, not eating too much, is this normal given?

I was expecting her to be pinging off the walls! Is she just 'settling in'?

Thanks

Could just be settling in.

Have you asked the rescue centre if she was always like this?

If it continues and you are worried book an appointment with the vet.

I would get straight onto the rescue you got her from. For a kitten her age it doesn't seem normal to me. Otherwise get her to a vet asap, there could be loads of reasons why she's lethargic, some of which need urgent treatment.

a couple of days after we got our kitten he had similar symptoms to what you are describing and he turned out to have an infection. He had been running around like a lunatic previously. You may just have a quiet kitten, but if she was energetic before then there may be something wrong. If it was me, I would err on the side of caution and take her to the vet tomorrow.

take her to the vets. we took a cat in in october & thought he was just very thin but it turns out he has underlying health problems & not a well cat.

Yes get her seen - little kitten should be like balls of energy really. A few hours settling in quiet time is normal but not a few days. May just have a fever but best to get checked.

Thanks for all the advice, the rescue centre had only had her a week, so didn't really get to know her, she was quiet and quite shy when we visited her, she has also had some/her jabs only last Friday, not sure if that has had an impact in her 'mood'.

Jabs are likely to make them quiet for a day or two, but we're 4 days on now so that shouldn't be affecting her any more.

I'd have expected that at 5 months your little one is old enough to have grown out of the constant sleeping of tiny kittens and should be bouncing off the walls by now.

Have you tried to tempt her into playing? She should be alert and even if she's still really scared of her new surroundings a piece of string dangled temptingly near her should be the subject of much fascination at the very least.

If she's not a bright little button inside herself (even if she's staying put through fear) then I'd have her to the vets as soon as possible. You haven't mentioned whether she's eating, drinking and using the litter tray without problems. Problems with any of these and she'd be going to the vets too.

She's eating/drinking, but only a little. she has soft poo, averaging 3 to 4 times daily, in her litter box.

when we practically force her out of her bed, she will, for a short time, chase some string around, then its back to bed.

she's now shaking, got a runny nose and her eyes look glazed and very lethargic

get her to the vets asap

Yes- a trip to the vets pronto I think.

Actually, I'd syringe feed her some fluids too, if you're confident in handling her enough to do that.