New beta forum classifieds!!

Click on your name (where you've made a post, like above) and a little menu will open up. On there choose "Threads starte.d by shusipoo" and it will bring up a list of all your threads, including classified ads and other threads

I always thought the for sale section was for NON PROFIT but yet i seen multiple Caravan Rentals on there and have tried to post a thread on here about it but must have been denied by the mods ... i cant see the people renting these vans are doin it out of the goodness of their hearts .. ITS ALL ABOUT THE PROFIT ..!!

The very least they can do is move them to the Property Rental Threads

Rant Over .. :D

There's no way that we can impose a non-profit ethos on anyone though, is there? We have no idea how the OP came by an item and no way of knowing what they paid.

The classifieds always have, and always will, be intended for private users not traders and we have rules against selling a number of items which are illegal or against our family friendly rules (and ticket touts) but other than that it's just not that easy to force one price on a seller if they want to charge more or less than that value.

Would you fancy trying to assess the value and therefore the asking price for every second hand car advertised in the classifieds? No, I wouldn't either. How can someone be guaranteed not to be making a profit out of selling a car? If someone's a trader and selling half a dozen cars then of course we'll remove their ads, but other than that they can ask a figure and people are free to either buy or not buy the items they're offering for sale.

The comment about holiday homes is a different case. Users are permitted a single ad for their holiday home (if you see them duplicated please report them) and they are placed in the classifieds rather than the Sheffield Property Available area because they are virtually all outside Sheffield. Since we don't have a General property area we don't have anywhere else to put them and the classifieds is as good as anywhere else.

Why cant we delete our own ads anymore?

Because people were abusing the system to post more than 8 adds per 14 days. An option is now available to mark an item as sold from the menu bar at the top of the original post.

Edited by Thunzi
correcting time period

ok and once marked, how long before its deleted?

and when you go to edit you ad, and change the title, why does it update everything but the title? as in when you view the ad from the outside it doesnt change it, once you click on the ad and go into it, it shows the changed title?

Ads run for 14 days and are removed automatically after that time. The 'Manage my Ad' drop down menu allows users to mark their ad as [sOLD] in the title of the ad and close the ad to further responses, so users are in no doubt that an item is no longer available.

Ad titles edits have never been a user option, but it's interesting to know about the edit allowing the edit to happen even if it's not shown. I'll check this out with the site owner.