Unusual enquiry about benefits/housing benefits

Hey people, some help on this would be great! we live in a 1bed small flat and our landlord has offered us a HUGE 1bed flat downstairs. Its 120 a week so not affordable...unless we claim as it is a 2bed shared accommodation so seperate tenancy's same address, he is happy to write them and we are happy to do it. Problem is we already claim as partners so how would it work with jsa/housing benefits if we do this, could we do this at all? we will tell them we are still together as to not be fraudulant!

It's all about the tenancy agreement.

If you each have your own tenancy agreement and are each responsible for only your own rent, then you can also each have your own housing benefits claim and your own JSA

Hey people, some help on this would be great! we live in a 1bed small flat and our landlord has offered us a HUGE 1bed flat downstairs. Its 120 a week so not affordable...unless we claim as it is a 2bed shared accommodation so seperate tenancy's same address, he is happy to write them and we are happy to do it. Problem is we already claim as partners so how would it work with jsa/housing benefits if we do this, could we do this at all? we will tell them we are still together as to not be fraudulant!

Why wont they pay the rent if it is 1 bedroom ? i would have thought that the fact it is 1 bedroom and you and your partner are not under occupied would be enough ,how can it work that you are together and a couple and they will give you 2 lots of housing benefit ? or have i got it wrong?

If it only has one bedroom and you are living in it as a couple then I do not think they will treat you as separate claimants. Its not a case of just ticking boxes they can and do at times come and do spot checks. If they find that you are claiming for a 2 bed as 2 individuals and its not then its benefit fraud.

Hi Stephazine - Its really unlikely that the DWP will believe that you're no longer partners. Their records show that you already claim as partners, and as you'll both occupy the same address, I can't see them paying you seperatley. Whilst ever DWP pay you as partners, you won't get HB as individuals either. Lastly, do you want to run the risk of being caught, or living with the fear of being discovered?

Have you asked your landlord if he will accept less than £120?? If you've proved to be good tenants, he might be willing to accept less. At worst, he can only say no!!

Good luck

I don't think you'll get much sympathy here when you're trying to bend the rules to claim extra benefits that you don't actually need, and are in fact willing to lie about your circumstances to get; can you see how that may not sit well with people?

Oops, I didn't realise on my first readthrough that you said it was a 1bedroom you wanted to move to as well where you are now, ignore my earlier comment.

simply won't work - you would be subject to a compliance visit who will write a report and send it to the decision makers who will more than likely find you living together given you are already claiming together. housing benefit will go some way towards the rent but sheffield council have limits on what rate they pay up to for private accommodation so you'd be better off asking them what they would pay up to then look at what the shortfall is and seeing if you could cover it. in no way whatsoever would i advise you to do what you're thinking of doing.

thats very high rent and no you can't claim seperate as you already on a claim together

Maybe if your wanting a much bigger place to live you could both get a job earn your money and then get one? Rather than expecting the tax payer to pay for your accomodation upgrades!!

Should you commit benefit fraud and steal taxpayer's money because you fancy a bigger home? How about NO!

I wouldn't say 'just get a job/better paid job' because I do know it's not always that easy but at the end of the day it's not like you are homeless now is it :roll:

Can I just say - if you're not going to read the original post properly then why bother replying? The OP clearly goes out of her way to say that they are going to tell the authorities that they're still living together as a couple so as not to be fraudulent! Come on people, stop banging on about benefit fraud when that's clearly not what the OP is trying to do.