Driving me crazy - You vote for traffic hotspots

What can be more fair than letting local people decide? The Town Hall dosent always know best.

How many folk live in Sheffield? A road scheme was decided upon last year during the campaign and the winning count was 1300 votes. (The scheme failed somewhat and certain aspects were put back to how they were) :rolleyes:

So far with 27 options to chose from the total number of citizens participating in this decision making is ..... 146 from a population of over 500,000.

The consultation is solely online which must exclude a large number of people.

So no I don't think it's representative of bottom up decision making of the masses. It's a PR exercise.

Threads merged.

I don't know the name of the road opposite Tow Sure but IMO that should be made one-way (from Holme Lane and not into it) and all traffic could be channelled round to where the Yew Tree pub is.
That'd be Ball Road. And it was beautiful when it was closed for the water works. And made Taplin Road a vastly safer place (they might not have needed the already-crumbling speed bumps then).

The lights there seem reasonably well-phased, I can't see how they could be improved. The junction would be better though if the yellow boxes were adhered to, and the idea of one-way away from Holme Lane would be good.

The congestion is usually worse in the other direction due to the sometimes bizarre timing at Holme Lane corner where the lights favour the tram/buses (which I understand) but then "forget" where they were in their sequence so it all starts over again. Leading to a queue all the way up Holme Lane (and back down Bradfield Road) that then clears itself one sequence later. Crazy.

But I can't ever see it taking 15 minutes to turn out onto Holme Lane - someone needs to toughen up their driving a little and stick their nose out :hihi:

How many folk live in Sheffield? A road scheme was decided upon last year during the campaign and the winning count was 1300 votes. (The scheme failed somewhat and certain aspects were put back to how they were) :rolleyes:

So far with 27 options to chose from the total number of citizens participating in this decision making is ..... 146 from a population of over 500,000.

So no I don't think it's representative of bottom up decision making of the masses. It's a PR exercise.

First of all, I don't recognise putting the lane back on Bradfield Road as failing. It hasnt changed since they put it back in.

Secondly I don't think it was ever inteneded to get every single one of Sheffield's citizens to participate. But it gives a lot of poeple to have a chance to have their say which hasnt happened in the past. You can't blame the Council for people not getting involved.

Also on the internet point all local Libraries have access to it, so cant see the problem.

Instead of moaning why not spread the word?

Instead of moaning why not spread the word?

erm... I thought that was the point of my OP :huh:

Sounds on a par with the 'consultation' about elected mayors that nobody heard about til it was finished.

erm... I thought that was the point of my OP :huh:

I know, but only people on the internet can use SF. Make sure you tell all those people you know who don't have access to the internet too :).

Yes, the pointless lights at Malin Bridge which hold us all up.

A tram has just left Halfway; let's ensure it's a red light at Malin Bridge.

I don't know the name of the road opposite Tow Sure but IMO that should be made one-way (from Holme Lane and not into it) and all traffic could be channelled round to where the Yew Tree pub is.

I agree, you regularly see Ball Road getting more than its fair share of time compared to Holme Lane which then queues more as a result. It's mainly people turning right from Ball Road, but if you made it one-way in I guess it depends on where they then go...down Dykes Lane and therefore joining the queue anyway...thus making the queue longer?

I agree with the tram priority but it seems to me Ball Road almosy gets priority over Holme Lane!

The congestion is usually worse in the other direction due to the sometimes bizarre timing at Holme Lane corner where the lights favour the tram/buses (which I understand) but then "forget" where they were in their sequence so it all starts over again. Leading to a queue all the way up Holme Lane (and back down Bradfield Road) that then clears itself one sequence later. Crazy.

Unfortunately the technology does not exist which would allow the signals to "remember" where they are in the sequence when a tram calls for priority. So, they always go back to a fixed point in the sequence when the tram demand has been served. Traffic signal controllers are not quite as "smart" as we'd like them to be.

Pity they won't get shut of the Bus Lane on Spital Hill.

It is absolutely pointless as buses, taxi's and cyclist get no benefit from it at all as its all of 50 yards long and at the end of it, they usually end up letting everyone heading for Derek Dooley Way change over to the left hand lane anyway.

And while I'm at it, the junction from the Parkway with the A57 outbound towards Coisley Hill roundabout.

Why not make the right turn at the end of the slip road able to use both lanes? That way, traffic wanting to head towards Mosborough coming from Prince of Wales Road in the left hand lane doesn't need to force it's way/merge into the right hand lane.

The road is wide enough as there are two lanes on the bridge over the Parkway as well as onto the A57 itself so perhaps different signage and markings could prevent queues that go down onto the Parkway where occasionally, impatient folk decide they'd had enough and then try to pull out into a 50 mph flow of traffic... I've seen too many near misses here.

I suspect the reason its one lane is because of lorries needing room to swing wide as they turn to go over the Parkway.

Bradfield road heading through Hillsborough towards Stannington is a nightmare!!!! (At Rush Hour)