Girls are made of sugar and spice and all things nice ..

What are little boys made of?

Snips and snails, and puppy dogs tails

That's what little boys are made of!

What are little girls made of?

Sugar and spice and all things nice

That's what little girls are made of!

So the rhyme tells us. Yeah, right. :roll:

We have a son and a daughter.

Our lad's emotions are like a millpond, and his friendships are pretty stable. He could wear the same clothes for a year and none of his friends would pass comment. It's simply football, computer games, music, football.

Our daughter however is the opposite. Sometimes me or my wife daren't talk to her. She's all over the place, it's an emotional roller-coaster. Her best friends become her worst enemies one day, and then her best friends again the next. She's terrified of what she wears for school because of what her "friends" will say, and she argues with her mum over the most petty of things.

I came across this thread and I was reminded that a group of us were having this debate the other day. All of us parents with daughters, a couple of us teachers. The word that was commonly used to describe our own daughters was "poison".

Is this true? I don't remember girls being like this when I was a boy.

:huh:

Is this true? I don't remember girls being like this when I was a boy.

:huh:

No doubt thats because when you were a little boy you weren't interested in little girls and took no notice of them. you only noticed action man and other cool stuff.

Yes. The sun rises every morning. Dogs bark. Cigarettes are bad for you. Girls bitch. They are just some of the rules we live by. :)

Me neither, milqutoast. But then I went to a girls only school and we were encouraged in worthwhile pursuits by our schools and families. My daughter certainly wasn't 'poison', she was a delight most of the time.

After what you've posted about your and friends daughters, I hesitate to say this but I've found that the more academically minded girls aren't quite so volatile and silly. In the same way that academic boys aren't so concerned about being seen to be macho and popular.

Hopefully, they'll grow out of it at some point :)

No doubt thats because when you were a little boy you weren't interested in little girls and took no notice of them. you only noticed action man and other cool stuff.

Possibly, but the teacher's in the converation were of the opinion that girls had become a lot more "difficult" in the last 10 years.

Possibly, but the teacher's in the converation were of the opinion that girls had become a lot more "difficult" in the last 10 years.

Probably. Shows like My Super Sweet Sixteen probably don't help the cause. :roll:

What are little girls made of?

Sugar and spice and all things nice

That's what little girls are made of!

I'm a women and i'm still made of all this :D

When my sister turned 13 she also grew horns and became a typical moody teenager :hihi:, i'd out grown this stage as there's ten years differance between us, but now shes not far off 16 and we are really close. Shes alot more mature, caring and calmer :love:... so it maybe an age thing (hormones etc)...

I never wanted boys when I was pregnant I just thought girls girls girls and thats what I had two girls and I must say I find them warm caring and loyal. They care about appearance, I dont class them as posion.

Although I have had the mood swings off both of them stomping around the house saying "am I bothered" also Harry Enfields kevin and perry springs to mind.

I was at school 15 or so years ago, and for the most part all the girls got along well- it was only the in-crowd who got a bit bitchy. They were also the only ones overly concerned with fashion, appearance etc.

It was also quite a high-achieving school so maybe there is something in what Ruby says as well...

However a friend of mine who has a much younger sister was shocked to discover that she (at the age of 9) was fretting about being fat (she is not even slightly overweight). Perhaps the pressure to conform to the "perfect" appearance is starting younger these days?

Edited by arachnophobe

Maybe kids act out because their parents and teachers describe them as poison? :|

So you have decided that girls are not as nice as boys 'these days' because your little girl is horrible?