Is AVG Antivirus reliable?

I have seen many people using Free AVG antivirus and they are happy with it. The only complaint about it is that it makes the computer runs a bit slower than any other antivirus? Did any body had a try with it?

i used it for years and loved it

BUT!!

a while ago i got a nasty trojan and even when pointed towards it avg didnt detect it....got rid and installed avast...found it instantly

I used AVG as a free trial for a wial but then downloaded Superantispyware and that does do everything...

Microsoft Security Essentials is currently the best free antivirus. It's free to owners of Genuine Windows OSes.

It was good 3 or 4 years ago.

I used it for years, slowly it started getting false positives, then more false positives, then I started hearing stories of experiences like melthebell's of it missing stuff, so I dumped it. Now using Comodo (AV & firewall in one), have been for 2 years & have no complaints about it apart from the free toolbar you have to say no too on installing (as with practically every free Windows-based program now it seems).

AVG free is fine as long as you are not downloading from illegal or p2p web sites.Most free anti-virus programmes need you to purchase an upgrade to get full protection.

AVG free is fine as long as you are not downloading from illegal or p2p web sites.Most free anti-virus programmes need you to purchase an upgrade to get full protection.

thats ********..............it used to be the case but they DO hack and hide viruses on all sorts of sites these days

I used AVG as a free trial for a wial but then downloaded Superantispyware and that does do everything...

No, it doesn't. ;)

AVG is different to Superantispyware in that AVG is an anti-virus which includes anti-spyware protection whilst Superantispyware is anti-spyware and will not protect you from viruses. Also, If you are only using the free version of Superantispyware it is on-demand only and has no realtime/on-access protection.

You need an anti-virus with realtime/on-access protection.

Any of the below will cover you for both anti-virus and anti-spyware/malware and include realtime/on-access protection.

Antivir PersonalEdition Classic

avast! 4 Home Edition

Microsoft Security Essentials

You should only ever have one anti-virus with realtime/on-access protection installed at anytime. Having more than one antivirus program active in memory uses additional resources and can cause conflicts where the operating system may become unstable.

I am unable to download AVG 9 for some reason, and am stuck with 8.5.:( on my desktop.

I ran spybot friday and it found a trojan Avast missed, shame as i really like it.

Edit: sorry, that should read i ran Malwarebytes friday and it found a trojan Avast and Spybot missed.