Advice wanted on eating dips when pregnant!

:wave:

Today I bought a sour cream and chive dip and was just about to tuck in with some breadsticks when it occured to me that your not supposed eat certain foods with eggs in when pregnant!

The dip is made with mayonnaise and contains dried egg, is anyone up on what you can and cant eat when pregant because im craving this dip like mad and dont know what to do! :help:

I've ate some, I've never read you can't eat dips?

You have to avoid home made mayo as it contains raw egg but shop bought are fine as they are pasturised

Your dip is fine. the egg has been processed.

Just don't eat raw egg or unpasturised products such as milk and some cheeses.

Although you can eat dip which is freshly bought, in date, sealed and has been kept in decent conditions, if you were to break any of these conditions I'd chuck it if I were you.

I've seen the random microbiological testing results from dips, hummus, coleslaw and particularly the shop displays of prepared salads and generally speaking they are a very good culture medium and have bacteria levels way over that of other supermarket purchases.

I'd say the safest thing to do would be to buy mass produced mayonnaise which is fine for during pregnancy and then make your own dips and consume them within a few hours. That way the dip doesn't have the time to sit on a shelf, gradually growing a crop of nasties.

Sorry to sound like the harbinger of doom, but if a risk is higher than necessary I figure why take it.

Thanks guys, Im off to eat my dip now! :-)