Memories of the ABC cinema

As a child growing up in the 70's I have strong memories of going to the ABC on a Saturday morning with cousins and friends. It was the highlight of the week. Sweets would be purchased seats would be taken, and then it was off with the Saturday morning minors song. If you was lucky enough to have had a birthday that week you would make your way onto the stage where you receive a round of " Happy birthday to you". Then the films would start, with several intervals for everyone to queue in the isles for an ice cream, from the usherette.

I also remember back in ( i think) 77 being stood in the queue to watch Grease. The queue was so long that it stretched right through the subway into the hole in the road. It was that long, that we had to wait through two showings before we reached the front.

What are your memories of the ABC ?

The queue used to go up the arcade at the side of the cinema,up to Hartshead.I remember queuing to see The Exorcist.I was only about 14 or15 when I saw my (older) cousin and lived in fear of it getting back to my parents that I was going to see an X cert. film. I think the "support feature" that night was The Wicker Man.You used to get your moneys worth in those days!.And we never had any trouble getting into X films despite the commissionaire bloke in his uniform.

As a child growing up in the 70's I have strong memories of going to the ABC on a Saturday morning with cousins and friends. It was the highlight of the week. Sweets would be purchased seats would be taken, and then it was off with the Saturday morning minors song. If you was lucky enough to have had a birthday that week you would make your way onto the stage where you receive a round of " Happy birthday to you". Then the films would start, with several intervals for everyone to queue in the isles for an ice cream, from the usherette.

I also remember back in ( i think) 77 being stood in the queue to watch Grease. The queue was so long that it stretched right through the subway into the hole in the road. It was that long, that we had to wait through two showings before we reached the front.

What are your memories of the ABC ?

i remember taking a girl i,d fancied for ages to see the stud....unfortunately,it had finished the day before,so we ended up seeing the sweeney......NOT the right film for my planned seduction...

I remember queing for 2 hours to the Cliff in 'The young ones' Used to go ther Concourse coffee bar on a Sunday night to catch up with a friend!!

I was a regular at The ABC Minors shows on Saturday morning. There always seemed to be loads of stuff on, cartoons, a serial, a couple of Three Stooges shorts and a film (or two it seemed).

The films were often from The Children's Film Foundation or older black and white comedies that featured the likes of Norman Wisdom or George Formby. Though the only film I can actually remember was Three Hats For Lisa. I think remembered partly for Joe Brown's well out of fashion haircut and partly for the scene where Una Stubs and Sophie Hardy strip down to their underwear and swap clothes, 'cos the cinema erupted at that point.

I was a regular at The ABC Minors shows on Saturday morning. There always seemed to be loads of stuff on, cartoons, a serial, a couple of Three Stooges shorts and a film (or two it seemed).

We used to do the ABC Minors too, if anyone could remember the song we used to sing I'd be amazed!

Like the OP, I remember queuing to see Grease & Jaws for what seemed like ages..do ciemas have queues like that nowadays?

We used to do the ABC Minors too, if anyone could remember the song we used to sing I'd be amazed!

Like the OP, I remember queuing to see Grease & Jaws for what seemed like ages..do ciemas have queues like that nowadays?

We are the boys and girls well known as,the Minors of the ABC.

And every Saturday all line up to see the films we like to shout about and see.

We like to laugh and have a sing song (can't remember the last bit of this line),

We're all friends together the Minors of the ABC defgh etc etc,

Yes cinemas still have queues, but only to use the usually inadequate toilet facilities:hihi: and don't get me started on the price of sweets, drinks and popcorn in cinemas nowadays. I used to be able to get a couple of sweets and a lolly at the old ABC Minors nowadays I'd need another mortgage to kit out the kids with that lot:rant:. Actually we don't bother, we visit the 99p shop before any cinema visit.

I've just remembered, you could buy ABC badges with a different letter on each one that spelled out ABC Minors and when you bought all those you got a free one that you could write your name on.

I saw my very first movie there!.. Superman.

I remember queueing up down that looooooooooooong tunnel next to it.

i remember this, not!

Thanks.

Very informative post, we'll all sleep better now.

We like to laugh and have a sing song (can't remember the last bit of this line),

just a happy crowd are we,