Longley hall farm estate

and s6!! in fact the north of sheffield!

Why the hell didnt they move the person that was causing the problems .......that would be too easy i fear.

It's Sheffield Homes policy to evict the perpetrator where possible and not move the victim, but it's far from easy I fear. Council tenants are secure tenants, the most secure form of tenure you can get these days, which means the landlord has to have very good grounds for eviction. Sheffield Homes rely on evidence from neighbours to evict people who behave antisocially, and that includes making signed statements. I've lost count of the number of complaints that never went anywhere because of lack of evidence from the person who made the complaint. I can understand that in the more serious cases people feel intimidated and can be reluctant to give evidence, but Sheffield Homes can't evict without evidence, so people have to group together and support each other if they want problem tenants out. It's the only way. If Sheffield Homes take an eviction case to court without enough evidence, not only will they lose the case but will have to pay costs and waste public money as well.

My grandparents had been on the estate 20 years and Iv'e watched it deteriorate. There are kids pressing buzzers claiming to be police and the old dears let them in then they steal whatevers in the communial areas.

Drug houses are rife and on my block there was a "safe house" with a new drugged up, violent person in it every week... if you ask me they needed to be caught by whoevers after them not shoved onto a nice area...

I'm really shocked by this thread. My grandparents used to live on here twenty something years ago, and I used to visit them every week, it was such a nice place - mainly OAPs - lovely little playground and shop. My grandad used to tend the communal garden area at the front of their flat and grew beautiful roses up the walls etc etc. Its really sad to think of it being the way it is now..:(

Well im afraid, when you dump a load of chavs with no ambition or drive in the same area, then they start breeding, this is exactly what happens! blame the parents while the kids are young! (not all of them) but those who sat on their arses and chose to ignore their own children whilst growing up! all those chavs have ever known, is knocking about on the streets, getting in trouble for fun as they are bored, nothing to do, majority of parents dont work, no money to give them opportunities, so by the time they hit 14 and beyond, they are pretty much doomed...

...oh...and its not just sheffield, its all over the country, bout time the saddos got off their asses though and decided they want better from their lives! they dont have to follow in their parents footsteps! I maybe over protective, but my 12 yr old does not go out without me, or me taking her to her nice sensible friends and getting a lift back by their parents and i live in a nice area! she will not end up one of these scrubbers with no ambition, she has every chance in front of her, shame alot of lazy parents dont feel the same!

It's Sheffield Homes policy to evict the perpetrator where possible and not move the victim, but it's far from easy I fear. Council tenants are secure tenants, the most secure form of tenure you can get these days, which means the landlord has to have very good grounds for eviction. Sheffield Homes rely on evidence from neighbours to evict people who behave antisocially, and that includes making signed statements. I've lost count of the number of complaints that never went anywhere because of lack of evidence from the person who made the complaint. I can understand that in the more serious cases people feel intimidated and can be reluctant to give evidence, but Sheffield Homes can't evict without evidence, so people have to group together and support each other if they want problem tenants out. It's the only way. If Sheffield Homes take an eviction case to court without enough evidence, not only will they lose the case but will have to pay costs and waste public money as well.

Yes i understand that the councils hands are tied in many respects regarding these matters ,the man in question was very smart and anticipated my mothers complaint, when he threatened to knock her down the stairs with his crutches (waving them wildly in front of her face) she said to him that she was telling her daughter and i would be reporting him.When i made an appointment to go with my mum to the housing office on moonshine lane to report this and many other incidents the man in question had already put a complaint in about my mum saying she was harrasing him !!!!! We were mortified to say the least and in my mums defence pointed out that she had been a council tenant for 40yrs and never had any complaints from anyone etc etc .I understood perfectly that the housing had to be totally impartial and quite right too ,however in hindsight i think they were wrong to move my mum an elderly woman and disbelieve us the council man refused point blank to move my mum to Firshill where i lived at the time saying she could only move on the same estate ,she did this and we decorated her flat new carpets etc then she became a recluse unless i took her out in my car because he used the same buses,shops etc and he used to intimidate her if he saw her pointing at her ,staring ,and then running his finger under his throat (when he knew it was safe to do so) ,she was terrified of him,this man then went on to do the same to someone else .I know there is strict criteria to abide by in these cases but goodness me common sense surely should prevail ,i often think i could have done more and wonder if the housing man would have moved his mum near to him to keep a watch on if he had been faced with this situation ,he did sit in that office so smug and i did think at the time that he made us very aware that he had the power to say NO you can move but only on the same estate take it or leave it!!!.

I couldnt understand it then and i still cant now .

What i do know is that my mums health started to deteriorate badly after this and she never recovered ,when she went to live on Longley farm after her husbands death she was a confidant,fit woman who enjoyed visiting her family and going to bingo with her friends going to town etc andwhen she left there you would not have thought her the same person .

the council man refused point blank to move my mum to Firshill where i lived at the time saying she could only move on the same estate

I'm afraid to say I do recognise this as the inflexible attitude that you do get from some people in Sheffield Homes. Like it would matter if she moved to Firshill rather than Longley. Some people go to work, follow a process, and then go home again. It doesn't seem to occur to them that their job is to help people

I'm afraid to say I do recognise this as the inflexible attitude that you do get from some people in Sheffield Homes. Like it would matter if she moved to Firshill rather than Longley. Some people go to work, follow a process, and then go home again. It doesn't seem to occur to them that their job is to help people

Unfortunately I have to agree that some folk see the rules as inflexible, when in certain circumstances they should be used as a guide. Letting an older person move nearer a supporting family member is common sense, as apart from improving the individual's quality of life the move would probably save money in the long run. As for helping people, I believe that recruitment to 'people' jobs should be based as much on attitude as experience/skills. Obviously that wasn't the case with the housing officer who didn't help Sharon C's mum.

When an individual (or family) is identified as a perpetrator in several cases of anti social behaviour then the landlord needs to come down hard. Professional witnesses could be employed to get the evidence needed to evict if other tenants are too intimidated.

Thankyou for your comments and yes i said much the same at the time ,i work for the NHS and im afraid you get the same, people who just follow rigid rules .

Unfortunately I have to agree that some folk see the rules as inflexible, when in certain circumstances they should be used as a guide. Letting an older person move nearer a supporting family member is common sense, as apart from improving the individual's quality of life the move would probably save money in the long run. As for helping people, I believe that recruitment to 'people' jobs should be based as much on attitude as experience/skills. Obviously that wasn't the case with the housing officer who didn't help Sharon C's mum.

When an individual (or family) is identified as a perpetrator in several cases of anti social behaviour then the landlord needs to come down hard. Professional witnesses could be employed to get the evidence needed to evict if other tenants are too intimidated.

Here Here !!! We were asked to keep records of incidents etc but when its old folk they are sometimes too frightened to put pen to paper ,the fear can be tremendous especially when they live alone and are vunerable.

Also, when you think about it, it's a bit barmy to leave the person suffering the abuse or victimisation in the same property, whilst evicting the perpetrator.

The perpetrator knows exactly where the complainant lives, and can come back, and further terrorise the sufferer, and/ or (if they are that way inclined) do the complainant some injury, as they are sitting ducks.

The Council and certain housing associations often don't seem to care about anti-social behaviour, and neighbour nuisance, just so long as they are receiving the tenant's rent.

They also seem to be happy to let nuisance tenants use them as tools against the decent neighbours they are victimising, when they make malicious reports, and harass the decent.

People should not have to put up with such behaviour. The council (and H-As) should crack down hard on tenants who don't allow other tenants in their developments to live in peace and quiet.