The Duke of York, Darnell

do any one remember the duke of york at darnells last days why did it have a sign outsite toyko joes? can any one help and how was the landlord?

Edited by brummy69

///////////////////////////////////////

Edited by brummy69

I remember the Duke of York from years ago, my Uncle Tommy Hannan used to be the landlord

I remember the Duke of York from years ago, my Uncle Tommy Hannan used to be the landlord

I had my wedding reception there in 1966, cant remember who the landlord was, we had the room upstairs, it was a popular pub in them days, sorry to say its gone.

Nah then Mary Poppins, he wasn`t tha Uncle Tommy, e wus mine...... My brother Glyn had his wedding reception in the upstairs rooms, (Mary Poppins was a mere girl of 11),

it had flaky ceilings and loose lino that tripped everyone up. I think the loose lino was a ploy to get people to buy more drinks because when they were carrying a tray full of beer they tripped and spilled it.!! My Uncle Tommy wasn`t daft ths nuz. anyway, I met my wife at my bruvs wedding reception so I blame my brother for my life of misery AND my Uncle Tommy AND the Duke of York....about time they pulled it down........only kidding.

After quite a few years Uncle Tommy then moved up market to a pub at Handsworth (when we lived on Attercliffe if you lived at handsworth you were very posh) just down the road from the Cross keys. Aaaaah, those were the days.

Just another thought, I passed the Duke of York a few weeks ago and saw it was boarded up.

Is it going to be pulled down or like many pubs of that nature, is it going to be turned into bed sits ?.

My other Uncle Jimmy Goodwin used to be the landlord at the pub near the Darnall lights at the bottom of prince in the early seventies, anyone remember him ?

I had my wedding reception there in 1966, cant remember who the landlord was, we had the room upstairs, it was a popular pub in them days, sorry to say its gone.

HI Closer, I think the landlord when you had your reception would have been Uncle Tommy Hannan because he had it for a few years during the 60`s