Whereabouts of good care homes in sheffield

Hi

I am trying to find good care homes in Sheffield. Preferably with a unit for Alzheimers/Dementia. We have looked around a few but not found any we like. My mom has had to go into care and she is suffering with severe dementia/alzheimers. We have placed her in one care home but to be honest,we are not satisfied with the care she is receiving there. When we initially looked around this place, it seemed fine. Its only now she has been there for a few weeks,that we realise we have made a mistake. So we thought we would have a scout around for another home for her. Like I said, we have looked at a few but some are worse than where mom is now, others are just as bad. The list moms social worker has provided is not very clever either. Any info would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

We've got a fairly big list on our website-

http://www.sheffieldhelpyourself.org.uk

Click on the drop-down menu then scroll down and you'll find a list called

Care Homes with Nursing for Older People with 43 entries, all with up-to-date contact information.

Hope this helps!

my mum in law went into howstead at Richmond for three weeks respite last year. That seem a really well run old peeps home. The staff are lovely

Hi , my mum died last june and she had been in care for 4yrs with the same illness as your mum ,i had the same experience the first home was dreadful and she ended up having a serious accident and needed nursing emi ,to be honest unless you are prepared and can afford large top up fees theres not a lot of difference in them they are all run on bare minimum staffing levels who pay minimum wages therefore the level of care leaves something to be disired ,i work for the NHS in acute mental health and am appalled at what these homes are like ,however when you are faced with the fact that you cannot possibly care for someone 24hrs a day then you have no choice .I eventually after a terrible 2yrs put my mum in a home called Longley Park View which is EMI and EMI nursing ,no it wasnt perfect but they did seem to at least care about the residents and i am sure were doing there best with what staff they had available ,at the very least her room was always clean and didnt smell and neither did she.Im sorry it all sounds a bit dismal but i am being as honest as i can be ,give them a ring and go for a visit but do not tell then when you are going just turn up .

Stongly advise that you go to http://www.cqc.org.uk/. If you click on the reports link, you can read the independent inspection reports on any home.

unless you are prepared and can afford large top up fees theres not a lot of difference in them they are all run on bare minimum staffing levels

I know where you're coming from but this is too much of a generalisation. They are certainly not all the same. Choosing one can be stressful for the person and their family but Iwould recommend that you

1 search on the cqc website for homes near where the relatives live

2 eliminate the one and zero star places and those that don't cater for your relatives needs.

3 visit all the others - go at random times - meal times are good for assessing how the residents are treated and how much dignity they are afforded. how many care staff are there?

check out the interaction between residents and staff and between the residents themselves. if your relative is not too demented, they should go with you. ask about activity- be challenging - a good home won't mind this at all - in fact they will welcome it.

4 if you are council funded you will need to check if there's a top up and whether the family can afford it between them. It might be up to 50 quid a week.

5 make a shortlist of the best 3 and visit them again to make a final decision.

Sounds quite arduous, It is. but its a massively important decision and moving someone around from home to home, especially very frail people can be very dangerous and even fatal.

When you do choose one and your relative has moved in, please please make sure that someone visits every day. take it in turns if necessary but your relative will probably stay healthier and happier for longer if they have regular contact with their family and friends.

to be honest unless you are prepared and can afford large top up fees theres not a lot of difference in them they are all run on bare minimum staffing levels who pay minimum wages therefore the level of care leaves something to be disired. .
I agree i left my job in a private care home due to the fact that the company was unbelievably money orientated and treated residents unfairly. On more than one occasion residents were put at risk by staff not using correct time consuming lifting procedures etc. Cutting corners and getting the job done quickly meant being able to sit in front of the T.V watching Coronation Street for the remainder of the shift.

Try Norton Lees Care Home on Warminster Road. Recommended from personal experience.

http://www.carehome.co.uk/carehome.cfm/searchazref/10004005NORE

Hi.

Thanks for the link..read the inspection report and must say seems pretty good. Think we might make an unannounced visit in the next couple of weeks to sus it out. Saw one yesterday actually, my sister and I went to view it and it was lovely and clean, smelled nice, bedrooms were beautifully furnished etc. staff seemed terrific, but I just didnt get a 'feel' for the place if you know what I mean. Residents were just 'plonked' into chairs in the lounge and they didnt look 'happy'. I'm not looking for a palace for my mom, dont get me wrong, but I need to feel 'right' about the place if your know what I mean. (There again, I felt this home where mom is now was 'right' when we went to visit, and its turned out not to be, for my mom anyhow)

Edited by poppypoppy

my nan is at ash house in dore, its pricey but she loves it - she has really bad alzheimers

Edited by scoobydotcom