Ideas needed for rattie fun!

Hi,

I've had my two boys around 5 months now so they are at the brilliant stage they can be trusted to be let loose in most areas of the house, but they are also so curious about everything around them (Especially my washing basket for some reason!). Can anyone suggest some fairly easy and cheap ways to provide more entertainment for them as they have loads of energy and like to be stimulated!

Also, what other treats do your rats like? I usually stick to shreddies and fresh fruit, and they are partial to a bit of yoghurt!

Awww! Well I play with my girls on the stairs, they get a yoggie if they get to the top (and a raspberry kiss on the belly). You could also make a cheap agility course like here: http://www.theagilerat.com/, don't need to use posh materials, bit of plywood and some glue :D

Have you got a feather wand? (The type you get for cats). Miss Chief loves hers!!

My ratties new favourite treat are lychees. It took them a while to figuer out the spiky shell but now they have great fun and lick the stones clean.

Mine also go mad for meal worms - you can buy them live or dried for use as bird food. They are a bit gross though.

My ratties new favourite treat are lychees. It took them a while to figuer out the spiky shell but now they have great fun and lick the stones clean.

Mine also go mad for meal worms - you can buy them live or dried for use as bird food. They are a bit gross though.

Mmmm meal worms! Mine are rather fond of those too, afraid I opt for dried!

Mmm lychees... treat for me, treat for rats. I'm going shopping today so i think they are going to be very spoilt when i get back!

my girlies used to get dandelion leaves from the garden which they adored, as well as most fresh veg and anything sweet.

we used to set up little assault courses by putting obsticles in the way of their favourite routes, like making a gap between tables so they needed to jump, and giving them tubes etc to run through. :)

I don't have any ratties atm, but mine used to enjoy the freedom of the living room too. A ping-pong ball was a favourite, and it was very funny seeing them dashing about after it. They had lengths of drain pipe to play in, and some rope to climb/swing on... and they were anyone's friend for a couple of rice crispies or a piece of dried pasta.

what about bat the rat like they have at school fayres?? (only kidding, promise!) :hihi:

I know they're a bit different but my gerbils used to love a habitrail maze i had...it had lots of different ways to go and a treat at the end...maybe you could build something similar if you're a bit handy!

my boys have been with me about 5 months like you here are some of the games we play at free range time.

i recentley started letting them fish for peas (big tub/dish wih some pebbles/rocks in and some peas or sweetcorn scattered in then filled with water.)

empty cereal boxes stacked and stuck together with holes cut in so they can get up and down in and out.

empty boxes of all sizes made into a maze or stuffed with paper/tissue/blankets for them to forage round in.

getting wrapped up in a blanket with them they run allover me in out of pockets nibbling my earrrings grooming my hair lol.

things for them to climb ie a wine rack some garden trelesing.

a toilet roll will keep them entwertained unrolling it shredding it making a nest ect. someone here on the forum recentley recommended giving them the little pots of watercress for them to nibble and dig in my boiys werent bothered but their all different so you could try that

any old rubbish is normally great entertainment for them lol have fun