Sign in to follow this  

MSN Messenger Question...

Originally posted by vidster

I would first try Add/Remove programs in safe mode Strix. If it's not even showing in safe mode let me know.

Er, the new one knows it's a program :confused:

The easiest thing to do is delete the lot of em Strix IMO.

Go to Add/Remove and remove anything from msn. Then do an advanced search for msn and delete everything it finds.

If you have trouble deleting a file download This File. It will add the option to 'Delete On Reboot' to your right click menu.

If that doesn't work you can use File Unlocker to unlock the file and delete in the usual way.

Once all traces are gone you can re-install. Everything should go fine :wink:

Thanks Vid.

I'll try that tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Strix

Can I bandwaggon this thread?

I installed 7.0 but there is anolder version still kicking about that keeps trying to tell me to update.

How do I find it to uninstall it? Initial searches have been fruitless :(

Its probably windows messenger that comes bundled with XP, ( this is not the same as the messenger service that caused popups).

Best thing to do is remove shortcuts to it from the start menu etc and make sure its set to NOT run when windows starts.

That sounds easier :thumbsup: I'll try that :)

When I installed a newer version of MSN I don't think I uninstalled the old one it just updated it?????

:confused:

I tried clicking 'newer version', but it wouldn't install, so I did it a different way, loaded 7.0 and got left with the niggly message from the old version :(

for anyone who is interested:

if you're annoyed at all the bells and whistles on the new version of messenger (7.0), try installing this patch:

http://apatch.killercarrot.co.uk

it is totally customisable, you can remove whatever you like, leave in whatever you like.. it's great for giving yourself a nice clean messenger client to work with..

:)

Originally posted by Stephen_H

Its probably windows messenger that comes bundled with XP, ( this is not the same as the messenger service that caused popups).

Best thing to do is remove shortcuts to it from the start menu etc and make sure its set to NOT run when windows starts.

Right. Can't see it there either :suspect: