Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

yes there is a lot of shopping street developments like liverpool and now leeds eastgate quarter not so much nottingham or derby as there shopping centres but liverpool paradise street development opens next year . We have to allow this development for two reasons

1 ) we are been left behind by other cities smaller than sheffield ie Nottingham , Derby , Bradford , Norwich were 35 th in the shopping cities data and this seven stone development will lift us into the top ten.

2) it will give the centre a real core of retailing now it is far too spread out its over a mile from one end to the other places like nottingham , Manchester leeds and others are like a big square and central retailing.

we cant be left behind yes there will be loss of buildings but in the long run a fantastic new Sheffield .

I went to the Bull ring went it first opened looked fantastic but had a typical shopping centre to it lets get behind this and not slag this off

I mean the name, not the idea. Yes we need the retail development, but the name sucks.

Why does it have to be called anything but the 'New Retail Quarter'. ?

Sevenstone is just pretentious nonsense.

Well, I think "New Retail Quarter" is equally pretentious.

What's wrong with "t'new shopping place"? :hihi:

Disaster for Sheffiled Regeneration?

Just read in Construction News (14th Aug) that Hammerson, the developer underpinning the entire £600m New Retail Quarter scheme, which was due to start construction later this year, has put the project "on hold".

According to the article they have basically put all projects not already under construction on indefinite hold due to the economic conditions.

Hate to sound smug at this abysmal news, but I could see this coming, as I have posted in the past - as have others. If this project had been driven along at its original SheffiledOne projected programme it would have been fininshed by now. But instead it slipped later and later meaning the chances of good economic conditions continuing long enough to see all phases completed (or even any started) were much diminished. Sure enough the economic cycle has come round full circle to pre-recession mode just at the worst time, as teh enabling works (but not the works proper) are nearing completion.

In the time it has taken to plan this (perhaps now doomed?) project (admitedly well-designed by the looks of the Sevenstone website), other UK cities have been able to conceptualise, plan and build similar sized schemes.

I haven't been for ages but haven't they closed down half of The Moor to prepare for this? So is that just going to stay like that indefinitely?

Do you think they'll stop even though they're currently carrying out the preparatory work including building a brand new fire station?
Is that the one that involves wasting money redesigning the road that coast god knows how much four years ago with all the posh granite pavements?

they will be prepared to cut their losses. A lot of the preparatory work wont be paid for out of the developers pockets. They'll have spent millions though so far.

I haven't been for ages but haven't they closed down half of The Moor to prepare for this? So is that just going to stay like that indefinitely?

no thats the Moor redevelopment

Disaster for Sheffiled Regeneration?

Just read in Construction News (14th Aug) that Hammerson, the developer underpinning the entire £600m New Retail Quarter scheme, which was due to start construction later this year, has put the project "on hold".

According to the article they have basically put all projects not already under construction on indefinite hold due to the economic conditions.

Hate to sound smug at this abysmal news, but I could see this coming, as I have posted in the past - as have others. If this project had been driven along at its original SheffiledOne projected programme it would have been fininshed by now. But instead it slipped later and later meaning the chances of good economic conditions continuing long enough to see all phases completed (or even any started) were much diminished. Sure enough the economic cycle has come round full circle to pre-recession mode just at the worst time, as teh enabling works (but not the works proper) are nearing completion.

In the time it has taken to plan this (perhaps now doomed?) project (admitedly well-designed by the looks of the Sevenstone website), other UK cities have been able to conceptualise, plan and build similar sized schemes.

Cant believe the first anyone hears of it is in that mag though?:suspect: The Star had better give em a ring!

no thats the Moor redevelopment

Ok. Thought it was all part of the same project.

Well at least the site hasn't been cleared and all the existing shops and premises are still in use it would of been far worse to be walking through the city and seeing a lot of empty boarded up buildings which seems to of happened in some other cities.

The Moor development where the new market is going to be seems to be trundling along nicely, I noticed that the demolition guys had a hose spraying water onto the site in an effort to keep dust to a minimumwhich I thought was nice of them.