Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

They easily can by changing, a direct train wouldnt shave that much time off it given line speeds and the like. No capacity on the ECML to run it that way so would have to go the scenic route either via Retford and Lincoln or, ahem, Nottingham.

Tried changing trains and platforms with a bunch of sprogs and a few pushcairs, plus all the necessary gear for a day out, have you?

You cant see the issue cos you've never had to do it obviously.

It's 1 fast train an hour. You have one at 7:09 and another at 8:22 which gets in at 9:01.

Not ideal timing. Over busy trains. Delays. Putting another 1 or 2 fast trains on in peak periods would help.

I just dont do it in peak periods, if I want to go to Leeds I look at my National Rail Enquiries app, see which ones take 40 minutes, and time my arrival at the train station accordingly.

Heck, even the 60 minute one isnt a hardship.

---------- Post added 20-05-2015 at 06:54 ----------

Tried changing trains and platforms with a bunch of sprogs and a few pushcairs, plus all the necessary gear for a day out, have you?

Yes, my own two kids. Next question?

It's pretty irrelevant to us which route they take to get to Manchester I'm happy with their current plans to add extra services via the Hope Valley line and have Sheffield trains go through Victoria instead of Piccadilly. Central government are apparently lining up future expansion of the route whether that will actually happen or not is entirely another thing.

It's not irrelevant to those of us who live in Barnsley! ;c) Seriously for a town of almost quarter of a million people that is pretty much equidistant between Sheffield, Leeds and Manchester, the transport links are pretty shoddy. Besides, the Hope Valley link takes forever.

I just dont do it in peak periods

A lot of people dont have that luxury pal.

I have trouble crossing the road, without someone holding my hand.

Is that before or after beer? ;c)

---------- Post added 20-05-2015 at 15:56 ----------

I just dont do it in peak periods, if I want to go to Leeds I look at my National Rail Enquiries app, see which ones take 40 minutes, and time my arrival at the train station accordingly.

---------- Post added 20-05-2015 at 06:54 ----------

Yes, my own two kids. Next question?

Fair enough - just asking :)

It's not irrelevant to those of us who live in Barnsley! ;c) Seriously for a town of almost quarter of a million people that is pretty much equidistant between Sheffield, Leeds and Manchester, the transport links are pretty shoddy. Besides, the Hope Valley link takes forever.

To people from Sheffield it takes 50 mins or so. Sending Sheffield people up the line to Barnsley and then across on a line that doesnt exist anymore would take just as long, so its a moot point.

Barnsley has three trains a hour to Leeds and four an hour to Sheffield. I would hardly call that "shoddy". Everywhere in the North cant be connected directly to everywhere. Barnsley and Doncaster arent far from each other yet you have to change at Meadowhall, just the way it is.

Edited by Vegas1

If you get the earlier ones, it potentially adds another hour or so to the working day.

Over 5 days that's nearly 5 hours.

Over a year that's 240 hours.

I wouldnt mind but its not as if you can get a signal on most train providers, cant use the phone or laptop (correction on virgin x country, if you manage to get a seat you can 'pay' for wi-fi).

---------- Post added 20-05-2015 at 16:01 ----------

as you've probably guessed I freekin HATE commuting!! LOL.

Edited by ubermaus

To people from Sheffield it takes 50 mins or so. Sending Sheffield people up the line to Barnsley and then across on a line that doesnt exist anymore would take just as long, so its a moot point.

Barnsley has three trains a hour to Leeds and four an hour to Sheffield. I would hardly call that "shoddy".

The route I was talking about was to Manchester - we have no link to Manchester at all..

As for the links to Sheffield - I live Barnsley and work Sheffield yet I drive every day. Does that help explain that the train service isn't good enough? Also at weekends it stops at 10.41 back from Sheffield and 9.30 from Leeds. So it's not even possible to go to a concert or decent night out in either and get back home.

Realise this is going slightly off-topic so will explain the relevance... IF there was more to attract people into Sheffield on an evening, IF there was an easier way of getting to the places you want to go when you arrive in town, and IF there was a way of getting home afterwards, maybe more people would come?

Is that before or after beer? ;c)

LOL!:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 20-05-2015 at 16:06 ----------

250K PEOPLE IN BARNSLEY? jeez, and heres me thinking you lot just got running water :D

The route I was talking about was to Manchester - we have no link to Manchester at all..

As for the links to Sheffield - I live Barnsley and work Sheffield yet I drive every day. Does that help explain that the train service isn't good enough? Also at weekends it stops at 10.41 back from Sheffield and 9.30 from Leeds. So it's not even possible to go to a concert or decent night out in either and get back home.

Realise this is going slightly off-topic so will explain the relevance... IF there was more to attract people into Sheffield on an evening, IF there was an easier way of getting to the places you want to go when you arrive in town, and IF there was a way of getting home afterwards, maybe more people would come?

Many significant places have no link to Manchester. Burnley doesnt (soon to change though). Wakefield doesnt. Rotherham doesnt. Not everywhere can be connected to everywhere, we have Beeching to mainly thank for that.

I remember reading that Northern Rail curtailed the service from Leeds to Barnsley at night because of continued disruption from passengers on trains, cant remember where though.

Truly shocking evening service..some of the trains from Leeds to Barnsley take an hour and a half! You could literally cycle home quicker:hihi:

Many significant places have no link to Manchester. Burnley doesnt (soon to change though). Wakefield doesnt. Rotherham doesnt. Not everywhere can be connected to everywhere, we have Beeching to mainly thank for that.

Yeah I'm aware of that. I was just pointing out it would be nice. After all, as I pointed out, Barnsey is literally half the size of Sheffield yet has only a 2 platform rail link to 3 destinations (well 4 if you count Nottingham). It really should be better served. Putting in a new line to Manchester ties the region together a bit better, that's all. Which if we are really going for theis 'Northern Powerhouse' thing is all but essesntial.

To address some of thoise points though - its easier from Rotherham (just go to Meadowhall) and from Wakefield (to Leeds). Though both would benefit from another link via Barnsley. I suggested via Barnsley because some of the infrastructure is alreasy there - as are some plans.

Edited by alternageek
fixed vb tags