Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

And all of that has what to do with the local authority here? Speak to Network Rail.

You asked for suggestions as to routes that needed improving. All of those will be down to Network Rail. So I don't really understand your point...

You asked for suggestions as to routes that needed improving. All of those will be down to Network Rail. So I don't really understand your point...

The whole thread is bemoaning the Council for a lack of progress and lacklustre plans, the trains have nowt to do with the Council. Suppose it needs its own thread.

Oh, and anyone going to Skegness deserve to have to change trains, as punishment for their stupidity :D

The whole thread is bemoaning the Council for a lack of progress and lacklustre plans, the trains have nowt to do with the Council. Suppose it needs its own thread.

Oh, and anyone going to Skegness deserve to have to change trains, as punishment for their stupidity :D

I understand that - but you did ask the question. You can't really then point out that any answer is irrelevant! :D

Oh and what's wrong with Skeggy for a day out in summer? Don't tell me you've never gone for a paddle? Your name even suggests you may be a regular at 'Skeg Vegas' ;c)

Edited by DnAuK

Sheffield council have a manager specifically for developing and maintaining the transport infrastructure. It is their job to liaise with the rail companies.

They also have a business development manager who should also be involved in this.

I understand that - but you did ask the question. You can't really then point out that any answer is irrelevant! :D

Oh and what's wrong with Skeggy for a day out in summer? Don't tell me you've never gone for a paddle?

I was dragged to Blackpool as a child. It was a dump

I went again a few weeks ago. It was a dump

I have also been to Cleethorpes and Skegness. Oh, and Mablethorpe. They are all dumps. How anyone can spend more than one night there is beyond me.

---------- Post added 20-05-2015 at 06:40 ----------

Sheffield council have a manager specifically for developing and maintaining the transport infrastructure. It is their job to liaise with the rail companies.

They also have a business development manager who should also be involved in this.

Wont this be a SYPTE function, not a SCC one? Good luck to anyone trying to get the Woodhead tunnels reopened, may as well flog a dead duck. And you can liaise all you want, doesnt answer where rolling stock comes from.

I was dragged to Blackpool as a child. It was a dump

I went again a few weeks ago. It was a dump

I have also been to Cleethorpes and Skegness. Oh, and Mablethorpe. They are all dumps. How anyone can spend more than one night there is beyond me.

All the more reason for a regular seasonal train service so people can get there and back in a day :c)

A walkway much like the pavement that already exists?

---------- Post added 20-05-2015 at 14:56 ----------

Purchased?

Maybe that's within their remit, but they don't own all the sites that are in the proposed regeneration, most land/buildings in the city centre are privately owned.

---------- Post added 20-05-2015 at 14:57 ----------

And a short walk up past the fountain installation, past some uni buildings and pubs and to the corner of the peace gardens and John Lewis.

You do have to cross two 4 lane roads. If we're in dream world they should bury the road that goes directly past the station, and expand what is already an excellent public space in front of the station, there's plenty of derelict land there for a couple of restaurants or if that's not a goer they could just you know expand the public space.

All the more reason for a regular seasonal train service so people can get there and back in a day :c)

They easily can by changing, a direct train wouldnt shave that much time off it given line speeds and the like. No capacity on the ECML to run it that way so would have to go the scenic route either via Retford and Lincoln or, ahem, Nottingham.

Four trains an hour not enough for you then? Same as what Leeds-Manchester is.

And the fast one takes 40 mins. Seems decent enough to me.

EDIT - beg my pardon, its actually FIVE an hour. OK, two of them are slow and take 80 mins, but the other two I havent mentioned take an hour and only have three scheduled stops in the main. Cant see the issue.

You cant see the issue cos you've never had to do it obviously.

It's 1 fast train an hour. You have one at 7:09 and another at 8:22 which gets in at 9:01.

Not ideal timing. Over busy trains. Delays. Putting another 1 or 2 fast trains on in peak periods would help.

You do have to cross two 4 lane roads. If we're in dream world they should bury the road that goes directly past the station, and expand what is already an excellent public space in front of the station, there's plenty of derelict land there for a couple of restaurants or if that's not a goer they could just you know expand the public space.

I personally don't have any trouble wirh crossing the roads. There are plenty of safe pedestrian crossings. But I agree there is a lot of space available for development of things to attract people. In addition to the site next to Electric works, there's one to the left of the fountains and sculpture and the grassy area behind the Howard. If theis area had more restaurants, cafes, bars... even the obligatory gift type stores that other towns seem to have... its would be better than nowt.

Sheffield to Manchester via Barnsley. Through a reopened and refurbished Woodhead tunnel. Going to Manchester Victoria instead of Piccadilly.

It's pretty irrelevant to us which route they take to get to Manchester I'm happy with their current plans to add extra services via the Hope Valley line and have Sheffield trains go through Victoria instead of Piccadilly. Central government are apparently lining up future expansion of the route whether that will actually happen or not is entirely another thing.

I have trouble crossing the road, without someone holding my hand.