Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

Exit Sheffield station via the back and suddenly its the start of Once Upon a Time in the West.

They've tried to make that Tram platform look more inviting with the amphitheatre and access to the Cholera monument but it's not really worked. Feels less intimidating but still always deserted.

It doesn't go anywhere does it. Apart from the people that live just above the station, why would anyone go on foot in that direction?

It doesn't go anywhere does it. Apart from the people that live just above the station, why would anyone go on foot in that direction?

Indeed, plus the signs in the station make it clear where the main exit is.

I'd agree - but I think the station itself is fine. It's what is right outside that needs development. For me this would be the next thing on the agenda. But clearly SCC don't agree.

high up vestibule walkways, airport style running from the station to the digital campuses. extended to the bus station and beyond. That's my vision for Sheffield!:cool:

---------- Post added 20-05-2015 at 15:13 ----------

Only need to find 15 million or so, SCC?

high up vestibule walkways, airport style running from the station to the digital campuses. extended to the bus station and beyond. That's my vision for Sheffield!:cool:

Why not go the whole hog and vote for a monorail! ;c)

What are you suggesting the station is missing? Given its position on the National Rail network, it isnt that major a station, think its only the 33rd busiest station in the UK.

in its current state, it cant do too much more. It could sort out commuting routes tho, more trains and better times.

---------- Post added 20-05-2015 at 15:15 ----------

Why not go the whole hog and vote for a monorail! ;c)

That sounds awesome! it could be done.

in its current state, it cant do too much more. It could sort out commuting routes tho, more trains and better times.

"It"?

And who do you think "it" is, hmm? The "station" cant do any of that, it is up to Network Rail and the train operating companies.

Which routes need more trains on them and which routes need creating and where do you propose the rolling stock comes from?

Arrange a town planning meeting with some guy wearing a stetson to present like off-of The Simpsons and get everyone chating it. You'll be a local hero.

"It"?

And who do you think "it" is, hmm? The "station" cant do any of that, it is up to Network Rail and the train operating companies.

Which routes need more trains on them and which routes need creating and where do you propose the rolling stock comes from?

the sheffield to leeds route needs more trains and better times. Done it many a time on a commute.

You are Homer Simpson and I claim my £5 :)

the sheffield to leeds route needs more trains and better times. Done it many a time on a commute.

Four trains an hour not enough for you then? Same as what Leeds-Manchester is.

And the fast one takes 40 mins. Seems decent enough to me.

EDIT - beg my pardon, its actually FIVE an hour. OK, two of them are slow and take 80 mins, but the other two I havent mentioned take an hour and only have three scheduled stops in the main. Cant see the issue.

"It"?

Sheffield to Manchester via Barnsley. Through a reopened and refurbished Woodhead tunnel. Going to Manchester Victoria instead of Piccadilly.

A seasonal train directly to the coast. How many people STILL travel from Sheffield to Skegness and have to go through Nottingham to do so?

Just a couple of suggestions off the top of my head.

Sheffield to Manchester via Barnsley. Through a reopened and refurbished Woodhead tunnel. Going to Manchester Victoria instead of Piccadilly.

A seasonal train directly to the coast. How many people STILL travel from Sheffield to Skegness and have to go through Nottingham to do so?

Just a couple of suggestions off the top of my head.

And all of that has what to do with the local authority here? Speak to Network Rail.