Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

I agree about the supertram, it could possibly go from glossop road on to clarkehouse road on or near to eccy road.

Yep - you have to question if it can run down the centre of the road towards Shalesmoor from Glossop Rd, why not also in the opposite direction?

One of your 'flagship' suggestions could easily sit in that vacant ground opposite the train station next to Electric Works. Something akin to The Gate in Newcastle perhaps? A vertical 'mall' of bars and restaurants - a bit like what is being developed on the Moor. At least that would give visitors something to do as soon as they entered the City on a cold rainy day. But no-one seems willing to develop that site.

Rather than no-one, I'd suggest that it's the owners that don't want to develop that site. What anyone else wants to do is unknown and irrelevant.

Soon to be 4 ways as Leeds is getting another entrance...

Thing with Leeds (and Birmingham, Newcastle, Manchester) is that when you exit the main station there is something there, right in front of you, whether it be shops, bars or cafes. What does Sheffield have? A few offices and the Howard Hotel... Plus a rather ecclectic cinema. Giving the Hubs to Hallam Uni may have been cost effective but it was a bad idea.

Be honest - if you came from out of town and didn't know what to do from the station... would you bother coming back?

I've known people who visit once and say how shocking sheffield is, because its not clear where to go for action when you leave the station.

Absolutely right about the hubs, the uni is OK but it dominates the centre near the station. There is no life without the students. No shops or tourism or points of interest. Just a busy road, a series of university buildings, cinema and of course the electric works and workstation.

Rather than no-one, I'd suggest that it's the owners that don't want to develop that site. What anyone else wants to do is unknown and irrelevant.

The site is up for lease or sale if you look at the billboards. Maybe SCC should have published it as part of the regeneration project rather than just concentrating on the retail quarter - just as E-Man says.

I'd like to see a concourse or walkways going from the train station area to the digital campuses around electric works and the workstation. Sheffield is too 'bitty' with no real structure. This could of course include more shops and retail opps.

A walkway much like the pavement that already exists?

---------- Post added 20-05-2015 at 14:56 ----------

The site is up for lease or sale if you look at the billboards. Maybe SCC should have published it as part of the regeneration project rather than just concentrating on the retail quarter - just as E-Man says.

Purchased?

Maybe that's within their remit, but they don't own all the sites that are in the proposed regeneration, most land/buildings in the city centre are privately owned.

---------- Post added 20-05-2015 at 14:57 ----------

I've known people who visit once and say how shocking sheffield is, because its not clear where to go for action when you leave the station.

Absolutely right about the hubs, the uni is OK but it dominates the centre near the station. There is no life without the students. No shops or tourism or points of interest. Just a busy road, a series of university buildings, cinema and of course the electric works and workstation.

And a short walk up past the fountain installation, past some uni buildings and pubs and to the corner of the peace gardens and John Lewis.

Sheffield suffers in the same way that Derby does when it comes to the location of it's major train station. That cannot be helped and wont ever be changed in our lifetimes.

Exit Sheffield station via the back and suddenly its the start of Once Upon a Time in the West.

They've tried to make that Tram platform look more inviting with the amphitheatre and access to the Cholera monument but it's not really worked. Feels less intimidating but still always deserted.

It's bad and the station facilities for a city the size of sheffield are SHOCKING.

True.. yet I have taken people into town in the evening. Got a tram up to West Street... Had food round Dev Green, walked back down Division Street past the City Hall, via the Town Hall and Peace Gardens and down Howard Street back to the station, calling for a few drinks on the way They all say what a beautiful city Sheffield is. Yes - it can be if you know what you're doing. Make that same vibe from the station up Paternoster Way, through the Moor to Dev Green as well and you might get a few more willing to make the effort. But needs development with places to call on the way.

A walkway much like the pavement that already exists?

No. Actually build over the road meadowhall style. Unless we build on the road, but that doesnt seem practical.

---------- Post added 20-05-2015 at 15:03 ----------

And a short walk up past the fountain installation, past some uni buildings and pubs and to the corner of the peace gardens and John Lewis.

There's not much actually in the vicinity, you have to walk up a steep hill and essentially through town to get to the peace gardens - its not that accessible. My plan would be to develop all the area around the train station and link up and grow the digital campuses.

It's bad and the station facilities for a city the size of sheffield are SHOCKING.

What are you suggesting the station is missing? Given its position on the National Rail network, it isnt that major a station, think its only the 33rd busiest station in the UK.

For example, if you work down there, where do you actually go?? it's not well served for cafes, bars, shops etc.

For example, if you work down there, where do you actually go?? it's not well served for cafes, bars, shops etc.

I'd agree - but I think the station itself is fine. It's what is right outside that needs development. For me this would be the next thing on the agenda. But clearly SCC don't agree.