Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

Sorry but just what has this to do with Julie Dore, she did not take control of the council until 2011 when the project was dead?

The time line was, as I have said before, look at the dates.

"Hammerson submitted an Outline Planning Application in October 2005, seeking permission for a mixed use development consisting of refurbishment of use of existing buildings and erection of buildings for retail, housing, a night club, a health and fitness club, and multi-storey car parking. Amended planning applications were submitted in May and July 2006.

Enabling works (that is, providing the gas, water, electrical and telephone infrastructure) began in March 2006 on the roads surrounding the new site, including Division Street, Moore Street, Charter Row and others.

The Outline Planning Application was approved by the Council in August 2006. The Secretary of State confirmed by letters dated 25 September 2006 and 9 October 2006 that he did not wish to intervene, and that the decision as to whether to grant outline planning permission and the associated listed building consents would therefore remain with the Council. The Section 106 Agreement was completed in November 2006 and outline planning permission and associated listed building consents were issued that month.

In October 2007, developers Hammerson unveiled the official marketing name for the New Retail Quarter as Sevenstone. The branding was welcomed by business and political leaders in Sheffield.

In March 2008, a three-day public exhibition displayed the plans for Sevenstone in Sheffield City Centre. Local press described the reactions of Sheffield citizens to the plans as 'mixed'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Retail_Quarter

If you must blame anyone, blame the world’s financial meltdown or the people in charge after planning permission was given not the person who took over when the project was dead. You could always blame the ordinary people of Sheffield who, possibly through no fault of their own, gave the developers the impression that they could not make money out of their shopping habits. Remember this is Sheffield where the favorite phrase is "How Much".

OK, it was still your favorite boogieman, SCC, that was in charge no matter which party was in control.

Remember, no matter who you vote for, the council always get in.

But constantly voting for the same old muppets means nothing will ever change. This is a problem with the voters in a lot of northern towms and cities . The "my grandad voted labour and my dad voted labour ,so im voting labour " mentality is the reason why the north is lagging so far behind the south.

But constantly voting for the same old muppets means nothing will ever change. This is a problem with the voters in a lot of northern towms and cities . The "my grandad voted labour and my dad voted labour ,so im voting labour " mentality is the reason why the north is lagging so far behind the south.

Your memory is not very good.

Peter Moore 1999 – 2002 Liberal Democrats

Jan Wilson 2002 – 2003 No Overall Control

2003 – 2007 Labour

2007 – 2008 No Overall Control

Paul Scriven 2008 – 2010 Liberal Democrats

2010 – 2011 No Overall Control

Julie Dore 2011 – present Labour

Please don't blame the people of Sheffield for only voting Labour, they do vote for other parties and then vote them out. You will find that the voters of Sheffield can be very fickle and change their allegiance quite often.

Tk maxx is a great store with designer brands. Its not seconds.

If you think that, then Harvey Nicks, or any other high end department store isn't for you my friend.

It takes seconds to find imperfect clothes and other items in TK Maxx; if they aren't seconds, then they are clearly returns. For every item in perfect condition, there are two with imperfections and one that looks like my dog used it as his bed for a week.

So, Hammerson's are well-ahead with the Victoria Gate mall in Leeds - due to open next year, with a shiny new John Lewis at the heart of it -

http://www.victoriagate.co.uk

Sheffield is becoming a place on the road to nowhere. As HS2 and particularly HS3 get built investment will follow the transport links.

Leeds HS2, HS3, M1, M62 Leeds Bradford Airport.

Manchester HS2 HS3 M6, M62 M60, M56, M66 Manchester Airport.

Sheffield got left out in the cold when the M67 project stalled. I'm struggling to see a way back.

Edited by SHYTOT

Sheffield is becoming a place on the road to nowhere. As HS2 and particularly HS3 get built investment will follow the transport links.

Sheffield got left out in the cold when the M67 project stalled. I'm struggling to see a way back.

Sheffield already has the M1 and is also due to get HS2 and HS3. HS2 may not come into the city centre but it will be a lot closer to it than Leeds-Bradford airport is to Leeds, and Manchester Airport is to Manchester city centre.

So we have the benefits of lots of airports close by without any of the downsides, such as air and noise pollution.

So, Hammerson's are well-ahead with the Victoria Gate mall in Leeds - due to open next year, with a shiny new John Lewis at the heart of it -

and meanwhile in Sheffield

There are plenty of decent transport links to the city, it's just the council are a circus of clowns.

Forever standing in the way of development, if it's not done directly it's through sheer incompetence.

just realised this thread is in its eighth year and still not a brick has been laid :rant:

Perhaps a way forward might be retaining the best buildings in the area and replacing buildings that are not structurally sound with designs more in keeping with the environment. Chesterfield has restored quite a few of its older buildings and has street furniture that's in keeping with the environment and a newish shopping complex that blends into the townscape. I have been around that area many times it has the potential for such a project than demolishing most of the area with a any where shopping complex and would cost less and give Sheffield something different from what Manchester and Leeds has.

Yippie! :roll:

They can add to the list of unoccupied units scattered all over the St Johns Centre, Merrion Centre and "The Core" oh and Clarence Dock and even empty units now starting to appear on Briggate and Albion St.

The only thing of any interest to me would be John Lewis but, we got one. Had one for years.