Has anyone else noticed the traffic around city centre getting worse?

I'm not sure building a bridge or subway at every junction is a cost effective way of reducing traffic congestion.

Probably not. Some junctions don't have a lot of pedestrian traffic, so a set of lights that is only activated for pedestrians wouldn't cause a big problem. It's lights controlling traffic flow that are generally the target of the trials at the moment, not lights controlling pedestrian crossings.

I dont agree with your view of removing traffic signals to speed up traffic, as a result of doing this, the main roads would run faster but the side street's etc would just clog up, manor top for example.

How would that would without traffic lights???

Have a look at the various studies and trials and see for yourself.

Im telling you now that road would NOT work, how would you expect a tram to merge in traffic and make the right turn it need's to? crossing four lanes of fast moving traffic??

The studies done in other city's down mean anything with what we have in Sheffield, all removing the traffic lights will do is cause more people to take risk's and misjudge the speed of traffic, if you can come up with a more sensible study of traffic issues in sheffield id listen, but removing traffic lights, without spending millions possibly billions improving the road layouts, it just wont work.

If the traffic dunt slow you down - the b***dy pot holes will! Anyone used Loxley Road recently? Once you've got round all the pot holes - you end up taking an age on the one way system to Hillsborough Corner.

You managed to change "not impossible" to "a breeze". Are you sure that your paraphrasing is accurate?

Yes - you originally said turning right on to Penistone Road at off peak times "isn't a problem at all" when the lights failed.

Yes - you originally said turning right on to Penistone Road at off peak times "isn't a problem at all" when the lights failed.

So you just thought you're remove the qualifying "at off peak times" along with change "not a problem" to "a breeze".

Well, that's okay then, removing qualifiers doesn't change the nature of a statement at all.

Im telling you now that road would NOT work, how would you expect a tram to merge in traffic and make the right turn it need's to? crossing four lanes of fast moving traffic??

You're probably right, where the tram has to move across the flow of all the traffic signals are probably necessary. That's just a few junctions out of hundreds in the city.

The studies done in other city's down mean anything with what we have in Sheffield,

Why, are we that special?

all removing the traffic lights will do is cause more people to take risk's and misjudge the speed of traffic,

Are you saying that people in other cities are smarter?

if you can come up with a more sensible study of traffic issues in sheffield id listen,

Or you'd tell me that studies in other cities don't count.

but removing traffic lights, without spending millions possibly billions improving the road layouts, it just wont work.
And you say that not based on evidence, but despite the evidence. What a compelling argument you present:hihi:

So you just thought you're remove the qualifying "at off peak times" along with change "not a problem" to "a breeze".

Well, that's okay then, removing qualifiers doesn't change the nature of a statement at all.

Go back and read my post #92. I do say "off peak".

You're probably right, where the tram has to move across the flow of all the traffic signals are probably necessary. That's just a few junctions out of hundreds in the city.

Why, are we that special?

Are you saying that people in other cities are smarter?

Or you'd tell me that studies in other cities don't count.And you say that not based on evidence, but despite the evidence. What a compelling argument you present:hihi:

No city is the same as our's, our road layouts are totally different, we have a tram not alot of over town's or city's do, therefore you couldnt compare the studies into another city with what would work with ours, you would need to do studies into Sheffield.

Most traffic signal's prioritise the tram remove them all, and what will happen with the tram? its like 3 buses being sat waiting to pull out of a junction!

Billions would have to be spent on new ways for pedesrians to cross roads as most traffic signal's double as crossings, so new sub ways or the likes would need to be installed.

its not just black and white, just cause its been studied and works in Leeds doesnt mean it will here too.

Or you'd tell me that studies in other cities don't count.

Would you like to point us to these studies, so we can see what they say?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1533248/Is-this-the-end-of-the-road-for-traffic-lights.html

A report in the news about the idea.

Isn't Bristol performing a trial at the moment, I'm sure you know since it's your area.

And there was somewhere smaller, which you previously dismissed on the basis that it's smaller than Sheffield. And the foreign cities that are trying it, which you dismissed on the basis that they're foreign, or maybe it was smaller, can't remember.

It's a bit disingenuous to ask me to provide the study details when I expect that you're far more familiar with them than I am, it's just that you don't like what they say.