Has anyone else noticed the traffic around city centre getting worse?

It isn't the traffic that's the problem in the city centre, its the road layout and traffic lights. Most cities give priority to traffic on the main road, as does Sheffield apart from rush hour. The inner ring road at rush hour is just wave after wave of red lights not in sync with each other. During the day, they are on green more for some reason.

It isn't the traffic that's the problem in the city centre, its the road layout and traffic lights. Most cities give priority to traffic on the main road, as does Sheffield apart from rush hour. The inner ring road at rush hour is just wave after wave of red lights not in sync with each other. During the day, they are on green more for some reason.

I kinda half agree and half disagree with this.

Sheffield does give priority to vehicles on exclusively the main roads, at all times. Out of rush hour, you're able to get up to each traffic light set quicker, and make it through them before they turn red. In rush hour this isn't the case due to the volume of traffic.

When they are red for you, they are giving priority to someone else. Everyone has competing interests. In the eyes of the lights, everyone is equally important I'm afraid! I think the ring road sets are very clever. They do mean you're stopping and starting all the time which isn't very efficient from a green POV, but it is clear that traffic is actually flowing better for all.

It's the volume of traffic I'm afraid.

When they are red for you, they are giving priority to someone else. Everyone has competing interests. In the eyes of the lights, everyone is equally important I'm afraid! I think the ring road sets are very clever. They do mean you're stopping and starting all the time which isn't very efficient from a green POV, but it is clear that traffic is actually flowing better for all.

It's the volume of traffic I'm afraid.

Derek Dooley way off the park way in rush hour is hell, it backs all the way up to the top, but as soon as you get past the out of sync lights it seems to spread out alot. And then in a morning heading towards the parkway the lights are so frustrating as you can never get through the next set(legally) because they change so fast. If they were kept in sync it would feel like you were actually getting somewhere rather than just start/stop all the time.

the main issue seems to be... busses, cyclists... ped. crossings...

Yeah sure.

Blame public transport, cyclists and pedestrians. It's got absolutely nothing to do with all the selfish car drivers out there. Ooh! I must have my very own personal means of getting around the busy city in my own private space, no matter how wasteful and selfish that is.

One to a car, one to a car, one to a car; same thing up every busy street. Stroll on! :rant:

To be honest, I'm generally a live and let live kinda guy - but somehow i think that BonJon wouldn't be having a better journey into work if all the people who current cycle, walk or take the bus decided to drive instead.

Derek Dooley way off the park way in rush hour is hell, it backs all the way up to the top, but as soon as you get past the out of sync lights it seems to spread out alot. And then in a morning heading towards the parkway the lights are so frustrating as you can never get through the next set(legally) because they change so fast. If they were kept in sync it would feel like you were actually getting somewhere rather than just start/stop all the time.

I encounter the same issues as you - I get on the ring road at Alma St and head to the Parkway and do the reverse in the evening. So I do know what you're talking about.

There's a few issues I reckon cause the problems you mention about the evening rush hour. The first is that everyone in the first lane leaving the parkway onto the northern part of the ringroad, are eventually planning to turn left onto Broad Lane. The second lane traffic try to bypass this, but usually the second lane becomes worse than the first and so everyone begings swapping all the time. Second laners are also prepared well in advance for the turn off to Attercliffe just after the Wicker, as well as for Pitsmoor and Kelham Island at Corporation St.

The light sequence in the morning is exactly the same at any time of day, and I know exactly the one you mean at Wicker Bus Gate. Even if you manage to get through that one, you then get stopped at the one with the bridge running over for the Holiday Inn! You can't win.

The thing is, these lights are managing competing interests. Other people want to get on the ring road as well!

did anyone use junction 34 North this morning? all the traffic lights were out and guess what? things were running smoother than normal!

did anyone use junction 34 North this morning? all the traffic lights were out and guess what? things were running smoother than normal!

And what does that have to do with traffic problems in the City Centre??

Yeah sure.

Blame public transport, cyclists and pedestrians. It's got absolutely nothing to do with all the selfish car drivers out there. Ooh! I must have my very own personal means of getting around the busy city in my own private space, no matter how wasteful and selfish that is.

One to a car, one to a car, one to a car; same thing up every busy street. Stroll on! :rant:

So because I choose to commute to work by car (which takes 20 minutes) instead of public transport (which would take an hour and half) I'm selfish and wasteful?!

And what does that have to do with traffic problems in the City Centre??

to prove that if the lights were all turned off things would rum better

to prove that if the lights were all turned off things would rum better

But J34 isnt in the City Centre, which is what this thread is about :loopy:

So because I choose to commute to work by car (which takes 20 minutes) instead of public transport (which would take an hour and half) I'm selfish and wasteful?!

Yes you are. If, as your location states, you live in the city centre you don't need a car so it's lazy people like you creating the traffic jams when you could travel by public transport instead.

Where is this mythical place that it takes 90 minutes to get to by public transport yet only 20 by car?