Sign in to follow this  

Southport - a much improved seaside resort

My family and I went to Southport last Sunday (31/7) and I have to say that compared to when I went previously, which must be 7 or 8 years since, the place has been much improved.

Last time I went it seemed tacky, unclean and frankly, uninspiring with not a lot to do and see. Yesterday, the place was colourful, lively and welcoming. It was also clean.

Am I right in thinking that it's got a totally new sea-front? And a new pier? Well, it's certainly got a pier but is it a new one as I don't recall there being one last time. Also, new buildings with restaurants, retail park and hotels. A new road right along the beach?

Whilst it's not the most interesting seafront, it's an improvement on what was there before (scrubland IIRC) and things can only get better now as more investment takes place between Lord Street and the new promenade.

Or have I got it all wrong? Maybe it was just the fact that the sun was shining!

Put it this way: last time I went I thought I wouldn't rush back and I was right. Yesterday, I actually wished that I could have stopped the night there.

There's hope for the English seaside resort yet!!:thumbsup:

Originally posted by Ousetunes

Last time I went it seemed tacky, unclean and frankly, uninspiring with not a lot to do and see.

I'm delighted that it's improved so much. I may go again next time I'm in Liverpool.

I visited it for the first time about a decade ago and found it just as you described.

As for the town centre, is it still full of near-to-death OAPS, shoe shops and nursing homes?

Originally posted by Abdul

As for the town centre, is it still full of near-to-death OAPS, shoe shops and nursing homes?

Worse than that Abdul. Our afternoon's enjoyment was somewhat spoilt by an over exhuberant (and out of tune) fella who danced around whilst he played his bag-pipes. This wasn't too bad as it ensured people continued their walk along Lord Street (any direction, just AWAY from him).

I commented to the wife that I might throw a tenner in his bagpipe case just to shut the merry bugger up!

As for the OAPs, well, any place with fish, chips and 'a bit of sea air' is always going to attract the Wallace Arnolds of this world.

(Shall we book our tickets now?)

I can confirm that Southport is stil full of OAPs :)

I think the pier is new. I noticed it a while ago, and I've never noticed it before. Either it's new or I am very un-observant. Still not a major fan of Southport, but that's probably because it's full of people and people generally get in my way and bother me. :D

I last went about 20 years ago and it was horrible. It was like a ghost town with nothing to do and the beach was shocking.

Glad to hear it's improving.

i last went in 1989 only decent place was the rock night at the floral hall , i keep meaning to go back for a weekend break or something

now where are those holiday brochures:)

The whole coast line has been vastly improved. The fact that they don't pump sewage out any more helps. Plus the beaches are constantly being cleaned and combed. I think the local council realised that the beach is quite an asset and worth looking after.

I originally come from a small town about half hour away from Southport and was a haunt as a teenager.I visited the family about two weekends ago and went for a run out there to see the changes ma & pop had told me about.

I too was gladdened to see how it had changed and yip it is still full of OAP's and I was with 3 of them myself. It is about time Southport had some money pumped into it and this has made a vast imrpovement on what was once a run down seaside resort with beautiful old buildings.

I would suggest that anyone who is in that area goes for a look see and play around of crazy golf.

Where abouts are you from Bertie? I'm from Crosby myself. :)

Originally posted by Andy78

I think the pier is new. I noticed it a while ago, and I've never noticed it before. Either it's new or I am very un-observant.

Southport's new pier :hihi:

Oh dear,I really am that un-observant. :(

Thanks for the link, Strix.

I guess the original pier was in such a state that it was unforgettable and so nobody took an awful lot of notice! The article illustrates another case of a council getting it totally wrong. They wanted to demolish this grade II listed 'building' but were defeated in their motion by one vote.

Shame on you councillors.

So, the pier has been done up and there's a brand spanking new tram on it, so new it a) isn't yet operational; and b) still has plastic covers over its seats.

Andy78 is also correct in the beach and quality of the sea-water. I recall going on the beach in 1989 and it was nothing more than a stinking sewer. You could literally identify products and waste that gets into the sewerage system. Maybe that put me off returning?

The new seafront and beach is incredibly clean - so much so that we let our daughters play in the sand.

As I said, it is now a far more welcoming and attractive resort.