Sign in to follow this  

Best Restaurant Reviewer

Which local paper or magazine has the best restaurant reviews in your opinion?

Things i'm thinking about is how entertaining is the review and how much of a sense of the place does it give you? Also how accurate is the review in your experience? Have you ever been to a restaurant on the basis of a good review and it has disappointed or vice-versa?

I'll start:

Personally I like the ones in City Magazine (free mag you get around town) the best. They are funny and give me a good idea of the place, I have also found them to be accurate.

I also think the ones in The Star are good.

The Metro carries the worst reviews for me the writing style I find a bit difficult and a couple that they said were "5 star" weren't anything above average in my opinion.

I like that guy in the Yorkshire Post magazine on a Saturday. Think he is called Robert Cockcroft ?? He is fantastic at recreating the atmosphere and what the place looks like. But he gets alot of space to for his write-up which make the difference.

Sheffield Telegraph reviews are an essential read in our house on a Friday. Think Lesley Draper is my fav.

From my experience of working in quite a few restaurants in Sheffield, never fully believe The Star reviews, the writer is somewhat biast to certain chefs and restaurants he knows and some of the good restaurants in Sheffield usually struggle to get a mention because of this.

I think the Sheffield Telegraph usually gives accurate reviews of restaurants.

Agree with samc, the Yorkshire Post with Robert Cockcroft and Frederick Manby are consistent. We went to two that they had reviewed in Sheffield and the reviews were very accurate.

The Sheffield Star is a must on Wednesday for the food page plenty of snippets and the reviews always good reading. I sometimes have to read between the lines when he awards 3 stars to find out what was wrong with it.

The Sheffield Telegraph is another thing altogether, I find the reviewers quite different and it's difficult to build a picture from the review, I always end up thinking 'did they enjoy that or not?'