Sheffield sayings and rhymes

Lost me on that one ....perhaps ive spent too much time away from my home city!

Originally posted by tulip

I'll try and translate for you. I remember an English lesson at school where we had to translate Yorkshire words and sayings!

Intitot = Isn't it hot

Giuzit = give it us

Summatsupeer = Something is up here

Geritetten = get it eaten

Aseegeeniter = Has he given it to her (?)

Abberritinters = I bet it isn't hers

Tantadnowtdunnatitesanose =It hasn't had nothing done at it this you know

Tintintin = It isn't in the tin

ive just had a pm of tulip to say she is going for an interview today, as she is a sheffield lass i wished her luck and told her " keep thi and on thi aipney" any one ever heard this before? and if so,would they care to enlighten the younger members as to its meaning,vera,

don kiddick, owdlad and hazel,its over to you......:thumbsup:

Originally posted by WalkleyRich

With reference to someone spending a lot of money :

"Who's she think she is, Lady Docker ?"

Talking of the Lady she used to swan about in a mink coat all the time (wife of Sir Bernard Docker head of Daimler she died in 1983 I Think)

My Gran use to say, of women from working class background who dressed above their staition or swanned about as if they had loads of money, were:-

"all fur coat and no nickers"

:hihi:

Originally posted by depoix

" keep thi and on thi aipney" any one ever heard this before?:

I may be wrong, but I think it was a way of saying "Look after your virtue" - - sort of "Dont let men lead you astray".

In our area, the expression "Your Tuppence" is used to describe the area that needs to be dried and creamed etc. after bathtime. (Little Girls).

Could that be "Inflation" or the fact that the "Aipenny" doesn't exist any more?

One that I used to hear with the same meaning about loss of virtue was "Don't throw your bonnet over the windmill"

Anyone heard that one..

And I heard one woman describing a rather stout lady saying "A boiling piece, 'appy round feet." Which brought to mind the lady concerned beautifully.

hazel

Originally posted by hazel

One that I used to hear with the same meaning about loss of virtue was "Don't throw your bonnet over the windmill"

Anyone heard that one..

And I heard one woman describing a rather stout lady saying "A boiling piece, 'appy round feet." Which brought to mind the lady concerned beautifully.

hazel

Hi Hazel, Just got round to reading mail, very interesting as usual.

(Funny Saying) Keep your hand on your halfpenny. Make of that what you like. Maybe someone had a hole in therir pocket (Idon't think so) LOL

LOL

Vera.

I do not know if this is a sheffield saying but my nan and also a few of my bikers friends has said this too.but when it looks likes it goin to rain they always say

It's black over bills mother. :loopy:

I my self never have hear this anywere els so i dont know were it came from.

black ower bills mothers, my mum you to say that,dont know where it comes from though, the hand on the aipenny, i was told that many years ago when a young lady and a lad were "walking out" together,the mother used to give the daughter a halpenny for her tram fare,if the date didnt work out,she always had her fare home so there was no excuse for bieng late back, as in those days it was not unusual for a lady to have a small pocket in her undergarments, it was a gentle hint from the mother to" behave yourself lady"

Originally posted by hazel

hazel

On the subject of losing your virtue, theres an old folk song called:

A Bunch of Thyme

Come all you maidens young and fair

All you that are blooming in your prime

And always beware

To keep your garden fair

Let no man steal away your thyme.

Chorus

For thyme it is a precious thing

And thyme brings all things to my mind

Thyme with all its labours,

Along with all its joys

Thyme brings all things to an end

Once I had a bunch of thyme

I thought it never would decay

Then came a lusty sailor,

Who chanced to pass my way

And stole my bunch of thyme away.

The sailor gave to me a rose

A rose that never would decay

He gave it to me,

To keep me reminded

Of when he stole my thyme away

I remember me dad tellin us "Purrit darn tha chuff, that as weak as chip oyal vinigar, al do it missen.......itl either rain or gu dark afor mornin. And when we asked "weer tha guin dad" .You would get a quick "to see a man abart a dog."

Another one "put wood int oyal...shut the door.:P

hi sometimes i get frowned at when i talk slang but the fraze he hasnt had anything done to his nose is eantadnowtduntoisnooass.

another one is ifthaduntgeorrthallgerrit

pulltheesokcupshuttheegobbandweeroff

weeasthabinavbeenlookinfohtheefohages

amtellintheenowifthaduntshurrupthasgonnagerrit

shifttheesennthatintway

cant think of owt else

And when we asked "weer tha guin dad" .You would get a quick "to see a man abart a dog."

I can well remember my father saying that one pal.............but for some reason I never quite grasped the proper 'Sheffield way of talk'.........despite being brought up there........which I realised when I came back to Sheffield to see my daughter about 2 years ago........I popped into a small moped / scooter place on the high street and asked the very pretty asian looking young lady where I might find a 'proper' kebab............to hear the said young lady explain to me the directions to go to Barkers Pool, turn left by the Wetherspoon's place and its there was a total shock!...........I have to say I was pretty astonished.........but then I would be.............but seriously.........it shows the cultural integration of diferent cultures is here............and here to stay..........and I have to admit.......pretty welcome!

Back to the subject, I wonder if there any 'ethnic' sayings that would specifically apply to Sheffield or Sheffielders?