Sheffield sayings and rhymes

Ok folks.Heres one.This tea time we had a salad with crusty bread,got the lurpak out of the fridge,proceeded to try and butter the bread but it was tearing the bread.The husband goes,you need to MONJ it up in the tub with a knife so it melts faster? Monj??? Anyone else heard of monjin butter before? :confused:

OwlsChick - The word we used was 'Modge', we would modge more than one item together if needed!

...The husband goes,you need to MONJ it up in the tub with a knife so it melts faster? Monj??? Anyone else heard of monjin butter before? :confused:
I hadn't heard this one, but sure enough it's in the O.E.D. - "mong" (evidently pronounced "monj") is an old dialect word meaning to mix or knead - here's a scan..:)

does any one remember skipping to the saying blue bells, cockle shells, evory ivory over , good skipper ,what you like, jelly or peppper ,hop or a skip or a lady or a ----- , andy pandy , lord nelson, blue bell ,cracker :loopy::huh::

jelly was jelly on a plate (repeat)

wiggle waggle wiggle waggle

jelly on a plate

lady was: lady lady turn around ,

lady lady touch the ground

lady lady turn around

lady lady read a book

lady lady take your hook

-------

does anyone remember the others

Any one remember the skipping one the girls used to sing that went some thing like,

When ( Susie ?) was a school girl a school girl ---- was,

and she'd say Miss, Miss, I can't do this ?..

I hadn't heard this one, but sure enough it's in the O.E.D. - "mong" (evidently pronounced "monj") is an old dialect word meaning to mix or knead - here's a scan..:)

Wonder if this could also have come from the medieval dish Blanc mangen (blamange) ?

Any one remember the skipping one the girls used to sing that went some thing like,

When ( Susie ?) was a school girl a school girl ---- was,

and she'd say Miss, Miss, I can't do this ?..

When susie was a baby, a baby Susie was, and she went Goo-goo, a ga-ga-ga.

When susie was a school girl, a schoolgirl Susie was, and she went "Miss, Miss, I can't do this!"

When Susie was a teenager, a teenager Susie was, and she went "Ooh! aah! I've lost my bra, I left my Knickers in me boy friends car!"

They are the only lines I can remember! (I remember "Susie was a mother", and I think there was a line which went "Susie was a teacher". but I can't be sure.)

A nice little rhyme this,

'Little Miss Netty Coat,

'In a white pettycoat;

The longer she stands

And the shorter she grows.

It is a candle. :D:

Who's that man in the pork pie hat,

Roo, Roo, Kan-ga-roo..:banana:

( Don't ask :blush: )

Hi Grinder,

I have found a few good words to put a smile on peoples face. First I must say these are real words not made up. These are words used by Sheffield people, some forgotten, some not. No offence is intended, so be warned.

Belly Timber-Any kind of food.

Belly Wark-Belly Ache.

Wait for it, :hihi:

****-A-Bed-A large yellow Dandilion

A Bessy-A Female Idiot :roll:

I remember this one as a kid, someone in our house used to say, 'She looks a right Bessy'. It took me many years before I knew what it meant.

Wait they get better!!!

Blow-Me-Tight-To take an Oath. :heyhey:

Bonk-To be made bankrupt. This was a term used by School boys in a game of marbles. When a boy won all the marbles he would cry out, 'I Bonked him'! :nono:

A-Bun-Hole-In a game of Marbles. A hole is made with the heel of a shoe in the ground. The idea is who can roll a Marble nearest the hole.

:wow: :wow:

Not heard Bun hole before but remember "Cake oil " as in "Shut de ", or close your mouth...