Sheffield sayings and rhymes

Perhaps there were two sayings clock and clack or clap ????? :huh:

I've been thinking about this one. I remember when I was a child playing out in the winter me mam would call me in, put her warm hands on my face and say that I was clock cold. She'd then put a scarf, hat and mittens (not always the ones on the end of strings thank goodness) on me and send me back out. So would I be too fanciful to say that it's clock cold to do with faces being cold?

I've been thinking about this one. I remember when I was a child playing out in the winter me mam would call me in, put her warm hands on my face and say that I was clock cold. She'd then put a scarf, hat and mittens (not always the ones on the end of strings thank goodness) on me and send me back out. So would I be too fanciful to say that it's clock cold to do with faces being cold?

hiya i remember we round where i lived in the 40s and fifties more the 40s we didn't wear gloves unless someone could knit for you we used to wear a pair of wool socks as gloves, my mum knitted me a balaclava just around the war end all the wool she used was khaki coloured it was very itchy and when i complained she would say "theres nowt els so gerron weeit or get cowd"

can't say if this rhyme has been written on this web but i remember it from my distant past.

the boy stood on the burning deck

pickin his nooars like mad

he rolled em into little balls and threw them at his dad

Edited by willybite

it was to do with the fact of the cold on your face,face dial on a clock,or to put it another waythas left thi brains ont cellar eeard,has tha no gumption ??

In our house it was 'clock' cowd, and a clock is slang for cockroach.

looks rather like a cockroach perhaps thats where the term originated from.

Don't stand theer like souse, this cuppa tea'll be clock cowd in a minnit........(just heard that in my head in my mothers voice :hihi:)

Oh and Blackclocks and Cockroaches....I saw Blackclocks a plenty in Attercliffe as a kid then saw Cockroaches in Singapore as an adult....'roaches are brown and blackclocks are black. The 'roaches were big and ugly and the blackclocks not so big but just as ugly.......I hated them both.....equally.....:gag:

Edited by Joanl

Something that came to mind right out of the blue today,I haven't gone back through the thread so I don't know if it's been mentioned.

"Thar wunt jump im mar grave as quick"A favourite saying of my mothers when someone sat in her chair

Yeah, still used all the time in our house.

When some things broken "It's had its chips"...

Mind you "it were on it's last legs"...:suspect:

Edited by grinder

When some things broken "It's had its chips"...

Mind you "it were on it's last legs"...:suspect:

hiya

hear these sayings, get thisen oreer an downt be long abaart it

feet hurt, = my dogs are barkin.

pass me that,= a carnt av gorra booen inme arm.

av gorra reight eeardake.

arv gorra oil in me jumpa = purrit on bakta frunt den.

weer tha gooin,= am gooin tu skosh weers tha tink am gooin bak u fosters

remember, trazzin, mucky sod, derty herb,shut de trap,or eight, or eight, keep the airon.

the words that were used when i was young, were broke= brock, broken =brockn, remove house =flit,, try to get out of that then, geerrartu dat den if da can,

i remember just after the war 46 ish walking on bath st with voting day photo's of mr morris i was about seven and the kids were chanting vote ,vote for mr morris you cant vote for a better man and we'll put old winchy in an old tin can the winchy was l arden whinch who owned the brush works on bath street and he was not at all pleased i dont think.i think it was for the council elections not sure.

Edited by willybite