Sheffield sayings and rhymes

I thought it was clot cold........could that be clotting blood

You might be right? they sound similar? I could have miss-heard.

If your mother was at a neighbours talking and you wanted to know where she was, your dad would say she's next door 'cantin'.

always heard it as clock cold

clock-cold in our house, too. I still use it, about cups of tea that have gone cold.

Yep - my mum always said "clock cold". I wonder where it came from?

Yep - my mum always said "clock cold". I wonder where it came from?

Maybe "clock" refers to the amount of time the cup of tea had stood to get to that degree of coldness? (Just thinking out loud here, hillsborough)

Because we can't be clock-cold if we get chilled, can we? We might be "Starved to dee-ath!" as my grandma would have said, or "Perished", but we can't be clock-cold. Not even when we are so cold we have the "Hot-aches"

but, yeah, if I've put a cuppa down, long enough, and forgotten about it, by the time I've picked it back up, it's clock-cold.

And I always thoughtit was Clack cold ! I don't know what it means though.

And I always thought it was 'clap cowd'.

Perhaps there were two sayings clock and clack or clap ????? :huh:

Edited by nefertari

hiya, never, never, cold always cowd, like to use both clot, and clock ,clot cowd ,and clock cowd. another few ,ar betthe owt, tha nows nowt ut sooert,tha can plears thesen wot tha duz, its nowt ta du wimee wot tha getts upta wen arm not theer,as longas tha dunt bring any truble ooerm withe.tha thinks evry thing tha duz iz new wellarl telthe dis ar did same wen ar wer tha age and ar owd fella did same wen he wer a lad sow nowts nu ,another was lardedar,any body who talks posh (english) arl se she wer ruff luckin shid a clock lyka a bag er obbin futs, pikkin de wilk was another

everybody seemed to have a nickname i remember at school,i was wilber,there was a gregory his was peggyleg, oats was titus ,chico, barrel, barth, bongo, dixie, duck-duck, pearler, ivan,patsie,miffa, jinx,peps. a couple who grew up with my mother were still called their nicknames 30 years after they left school, one was spud smith, the other was tops fiander.

some were natural talkers they would rabbit on a bit, or talk hind leg off a donkey, or chattin, or has ta bin injected wi a grammerfone needle, or shut the gob an gee the ar -e a chance.

Edited by willybite

Something that came to mind right out of the blue today,I haven't gone back through the thread so I don't know if it's been mentioned.

"Thar wunt jump im mar grave as quick"A favourite saying of my mothers when someone sat in her chair

Something that came to mind right out of the blue today,I haven't gone back through the thread so I don't know if it's been mentioned.

"Thar wunt jump im mar grave as quick"A favourite saying of my mothers when someone sat in her chair

To which the reply would come "Arr, I wud - if it were warm!"