Sheffield sayings and rhymes

We (the wife and I) were discussing names given to school meals when we were kids. We came up with 'Black Death', that was prunes and custard; 'Dead Baby'; that was jam roll. But the absolute worst, and I don't know what the hell it was, 'Blood and matter custard and green snot pie. I hope I haven't offended anyone here, sounds good though.

Hey Texas, I have another line or two for the last one ... don't ask me where I got it from ... but I remember it was the start of a little ditty. Scab and matter custard, green snot pie, two dogs giblets and one cat's eye, mix them all up with a cold cup of sick .... Then there was a pause ... and the kid who'd recited it then said "Drink it". learned that at school in Wincobank

we had one called attercliffe sunset by the dinner ladies which was sponge with strawberry jam and coconut on top.

That's beautiful darra. They certainly looked after you.

I live in a house where the kitchen is separated from the lounge/living room by a hallway. So, if I'm in the kitchen I'm in the house, if I'm in the hallway I'm still in the house. My dog was acting up the other day, him and me were in the kitchen, so I bawled at him 'Gerrin that 'ouse.' Meaning for him to high tail it into the lounge/living room. And we're already in the house. Is that a Sheffield thing or what?

Theres nothing like a good sides splitting, fall down, laugh out loud with uncontrollable laughter at something that you might see or hear and find very funny and amusing. *** When we were kids there was another type of laughter that did'nt really fit that criteria and my mother used to say 'shurup thi gostering wil tha', 'gostering' was like a smirking subdued cheeky laugh that she did'nt find amusing. *** I've no idea if that was a common Sheffield or Yorkshire saying, her mother was of Scottish descent and her father (my grandparents) was from the Retford area!

My favourite Sheffield saying is either Up The Owls or Wednesday Till I Die!

One of the words I love is "TRANKELMENTS"..

According to my mam my dad had a box full...

I know because if he left anything out she'd tell me to put it with the rest of his trankelments

Edited by grinder

One of the words I love is "TRANKELMENTS"..

According to my mam my dad had a box full...

I know because if he left anything out she'd tell me to put with the rest of his trankelments

Hi grinder - I remember 'Trankelments' we had drawers full of em!

Yes It was strange how my mum had "Bits and bobs" but my dad had tranklements.

Though I've just thought he must have had some bits and bobs as well because I remember hearing him telling mum he'd had to show them to the doctor and cough..

Edited by grinder

We've all heard things described as "stone cold" after the stone keeping slabs everyone had.

But, in our house it was always "clock cold" ????

Does anyone know why clock relates to cold?

We've all heard things described as "stone cold" after the stone keeping slabs everyone had.

But, in our house it was always "clock cold" ????

Does anyone know why clock relates to cold?

I thought it was clot cold........could that be clotting blood