Sheffield sayings and rhymes

Incidently the kebab was the absolute 'tops' as far as i'm concerned...........the best wver................cue all you guys to tell me it was made of horsemeat / and / or they forever fail their health and safety checks!!! :suspect:

I remember my mother saying,"Shurrup, thars got moor rakkle than a cana mabs".

One that was often used"Thart like a f**t in a cullinder carnt gerout froyles"

"You seem to be taking offence of me making fun of my own accent!

No, I'm not taking offence at all. Sorry if it appeared that way. I actually think it's funny" "mojoworking"

na then thee who tha callin funny I'll gi thi a gud pastin if tha calls us that ageean, can tha understand this its got gaps innit just fo thee

Originally posted by rainbow2411

"You seem to be taking offence of me making fun of my own accent!

No, I'm not taking offence at all. Sorry if it appeared that way. I actually think it's funny" "mojoworking"

na then thee who tha callin funny I'll gi thi a gud pastin if tha calls us that ageean, can tha understand this its got gaps innit just fo thee

I can understand it perfectly with or without with the gaps, thanks.

But as I keep saying, what's the point of pretending it's more unintelligible than it really is by writing everything as one long word?

That's just done for comic effect. Any student of slang and dialect will tell you that's not how to write these phrases down.

How poems rhymes and songs stick in your mind !

I remember in the early '50's [Must have been ] , when Derek Dooley was doing so well for Sheffield Wednesday. A group of office girls made up a little song to be sung to the tune of , "Rudolph the Red -Nosed Reindeer " and they published it in the Star.

I can't remember much of it at all , but it started out ,

Dooley , the Centre Forward ,

Has a very awkward style ............etc.......

Tragically he'd only been playing for a very short time when he had the bad accident at Preston North End 's ground.

I don't follow football at all but I always recall the , "song ".

It would be a long chance now if anyone else remembers it .........or even composed it ..! They would have to be about 70 years old now .

This thread has really amused me! I love reading about Sheffield sayings, and love the book that was mentioned earlier in the thread.

gone to see a man about a dog - my dad always used to say that when I was younger, and I'd forgotton about it until the other day when I said I was going to brb cos I was off to see a man about a dog to my friends on MSN - made them giggle for a bit lol

My grandparents come out with some good ones. I forget what they are right now, unfortunately.

Speaking of grandparents, is the word 'nanan' a Sheffield word?! When I've spoken to my friends, who are from Yorkshire and Lancashire, they've gone "Nanan?! don't you mean Nanna?"

On the debate of putting in spaces: I agree that why not bother putting spaces inbetween dialect, wemightaswellnotbotherwithspaceswhentyping'proper'English :P And although I do know a lot of the Sheffield sayings, I do find it hard to figure out the longer ones without the spaces.... I'll shut up before another debate begins :P

Fareast I think it went along the lines of:

And if you ever saw him you'd see it sticking out a mile....... (and then) Dooley with your hair aflame wo'nt you play in Sat'days game?

I loved him to bits and it was a real tragedy- saw him sometime later at a benefit and he was a lovely fella.

Nanrobbo ,

Thanks for your reply. I'm really glad that someone else remembered it too !

Sometimes when you try to recall events and so on from 40 or 50 years ago , one sometimes gets a nasty , sneaky feeling that one 's imagined it all. Well , I do , at least------must be all that beer that's affected my memory cells !

Thanks again .

I just read on another thread a post by Caprice. She said her boy friend " Plays Pop" if she buys shoes that he doesn't like.

I haven't heard that since I left Sheffield in 1969.

Does any one know it's origin? :thumbsup:

Your welcome Fareast, actually I thought about the song after posting and remembered more- here goes

Dooley the centre forward had a very awkward style

And if you ever saw him you'd see it sticking out a mile

All of the other players laughed at him and called him names

They wouldn't let poor Dooley play in any firstteam games

Then one foggy winters day (manager?) came to say

Dooley with your hair aflame won't you play in Sat'days game

Oh how the crowds all loved him and they shouted out with glee

Dooley the centre forward you'll go down in history.

And he did!! Nan

I think I printed this somewhere else but my son at a young age was a dedicated Sheff united fan. where as I was supposably a Wednesday supporter

When, splashed across the front page of the Star was--

Dooley to go to United. (transport manager)

There I said he's going to play and he has only one leg.

Son desparate for a reply said -

Well he won't play for first team.

hazel

Ken coming from the South doeesn't know----

When streets er aired. or

Purrit out to air.

hazel